Looking for a QUIET subwoofer
Oct 19, 2017 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Selbi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to add a quiet subwoofer to my speaker setup. That's because I'm living in a student dorm and can't really afford to get a big machine that makes the entire house shake (and my neighbors). However, I've come to the realization that my JBL LSR305, while sounding good in the upper range, simply don't give it to me when it comes to low frequencies.

My room is only 12 square meters big and I want most of the sound to die when I leave the room. Therefore, no high-fidelity studio quality is needed, just some basic (though not poor) sound boominess is all I'm asking for. I could always buy a big sub and turn down the volume, but that would be a waste of money in my opinion.

The only sub that goes below 100€(used, at least) while still making a solid impression is the Yamaha YST-SW-012. I can find offers on eBay for as low as 50€.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 3
Considering the subwoofer will take up student money and space in a small place like that but can't pound anyway, why not just try an EQ? Boost at around 35hz to 50hz to hear more of where those monitors are likely to have their -3dB fall off.

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Considering the subwoofer will take up student money and space in a small place like that but can't pound anyway, why not just try an EQ? Boost at around 35hz to 50hz to hear more of where those monitors are likely to have their -3dB fall off.
Turns out, I am an idiot. Just taken straight out of the textbook definition, "a stupid person or someone who is behaving in a stupid way."

You were absolutely right, there was some sort of bass falloff for my monitors that I didn't even consider to adjust manually. Once I've grabbed my EQ to boost the bass, the difference was night and day. It turned out to be 9 dB with sine roll-off all the way up to 80 Hz until I felt satisfied, but at least I am satisfied now. And it cost me zero pennies. More importantly though, my next-room flatmate told me he can't hear a thing at comfortable listening levels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back