Looking for a quality amp (Willing to spend around $150 cdn)
Dec 5, 2008 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chrisc21

New Head-Fier
I own an 80gb ipod classic with various genres of music, mostly rock, and so I'm looking for an amplifier that can improve the sound of my music, and won't break my wallet! I have a pair of Sennheiser CX500 earbuds, and a pair of Denon AH-D1001's. I don't mind using an amp that runs on batteries, but if there is an amp that runs on rechargeable power (excluding the Simpl A1 amp) that would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to spend around $150 Canadian. Thanks in advance!

PS. Oh, forgot to mention what I'm looking for =X If there was an amp that could make my music sound more rich and clear, but it's not necessary to have the volume raised. Most of my music has a lot of bass, which i like, but minus the Bose-throbbing base level.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 15
X2 on this request - I'm also in Canada and finding it hard to find an amp that I can purchase "locally" (i.e. w/o suffering through customs)

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 15
get a second hand AMB mini^3 its a real giant killer. if made to spec they look really slick as well. you should be able to get one in good nick for between $120-$170USD depending on condition and if they've gone all out on parts for the build. obviosly not the choice if you have to have a name brand to boast about
icon10.gif
but IMO they compete with amps costing almost twice as much

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 15
until I notify them LOL
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
until I notify them LOL
tongue.gif

ph34r.gif
eek.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 15
hehe jk
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
couldn't resist

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Dec 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 15
I see someone on ebay from Canada selling Little Dot mk1 for $175 incl. shipping. Audiophile Products is the NA distributor for Firestone amps and they are located in Canada ($10 shipping & no PST). If you want to connect the MP3 directly to the amp then Firestone has the Fireye 1 for <$100 (all in) and it includes a 24 hr lithium battery. Hotaudio is also from Canada and has amps below $100.

You don't mention if you need USB to play MP3 from a computer.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodlum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see someone on ebay from Canada selling Little Dot mk1 for $175 incl. shipping. Audiophile Products is the NA distributor for Firestone amps and they are located in Canada ($10 shipping & no PST). If you want to connect the MP3 directly to the amp then Firestone has the Fireye 1 for <$100 (all in) and it includes a 24 hr lithium battery. Hotaudio is also from Canada and has amps below $100.

You don't mention if you need USB to play MP3 from a computer.

I initially wanted an amp to use with my iPhone, but since that would make taking calls a PITA, I've decided to get one primarily to use at my computer desk - my Macbook Pro's audio out is beyond terrible.

I've noticed HotAudio, but unless I completely missed it I didn't see an DAC/amp combo that had a volume knob, and I don't want to rely on the OS. Also noticed Audiophile products - the FUBAR III caught my eye, but I'm really considering Practical Devices' XM5 as it has a crossfeed option (and I think my headaches might really like that!!) and a 75 Ohm resistance option (I'll be driving TF10s!)

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by prscustom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you need to remove the integrated amp inside your DAP to get benefits of the portable amp?

Remove it as in modding it's internals - not if there is the capability to use a line out dock (LOD) cable. Even then, is it absolutely required? Probably not. However, I'm using a line-out dock cable on my ipod video to my amps and I do think it makes a difference. I think I'm getting a wider dynamic range and overall clarity than I do when I use the headphone out. OTOH, depending on your 'phones, using the amp from the headphone out might still offer a huge benefit - especially if you have high impedance and/or low efficiency 'phones. OTTH (on the third hand) if you have low impedance/high efficiency 'phones (like some IEMs), then the amp may not make much difference either way - or the amp could cause other issues like hiss, clipping and/or distortion. For example, I don't use my amp with my Westone UM1 IEMs - my amp's gain is a bit to high for the Westones and they sound better straight out of the ipod. YMMV.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back