Looking for a Premium, Well-Built, Pair of Headphones
May 3, 2020 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Just1890

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm looking to find a well-made pair of closed back headphones that I can invest in for the long term. Due to this, I've been enticed by some of the premium offerings from 'luxury' manufactures. Normally I wouldn't look twice at these types of products due to the price, but many can now be found at deep discounts which makes them a fairly tempting prospect. In particular, I'm looking at the Master and Dynamic Mh40, the Bowers and Wilkins P7, the Bang and Olufsen H6 and the (wired) Sennheiser Momentum 2.
I'll be using these at home and driving them from a laptop or Iphone, mainly listening to classical, jazz, and classic rock. I prefer a warm and mellow sound signature to a detailed or analytic one (at least for this application) and my main priority is comfort and durability/longevity (a detachable cable is preferred). I already have a nice pair of Grados that I use for my critical listening.
So, my question is, out of the four I listed, which sounds like the best option (assuming all are roughly the same price)? Are there any better choices?
Thanks!

May 3, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 10
If sound quality is the #1 thing here, then I would recommend a different headphone from those you listed. Unless of course you are planning to also use them for doing chores around the house and going to the store etc.

Based on the ones you mentioned, I thought the B&O H6 sounded warm and weighty when I auditioned them - a fair step above the Momentum 2s. Never heard the mh40s, and the P7s didn't impress me (I did however like the P9s).

If you already have an amplifier, then I would seriously recommend a pair of HD650s at that price range. They sound literally perfect for your use. I would probably recommend HD600 based on your genres, but since you like a warmer sound, the HD650s should be better.

May 3, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 10
If sound quality is the #1 thing here, then I would recommend a different headphone from those you listed. Unless of course you are planning to also use them for doing chores around the house and going to the store etc.

Based on the ones you mentioned, I thought the B&O H6 sounded warm and weighty when I auditioned them - a fair step above the Momentum 2s. Never heard the mh40s, and the P7s didn't impress me (I did however like the P9s).

If you already have an amplifier, then I would seriously recommend a pair of HD650s at that price range. They sound literally perfect for your use. I would probably recommend HD600 based on your genres, but since you like a warmer sound, the HD650s should be better.

Actually, in this case sound quality isn't the top priority. I'll mainly be using these when I'm unable to use my open-back headphones (when others are in the room, studying in a public place, sleeping, etc.) As a result my main concern is comfort and build quality (build quality so that they can be carried around without too much concern). My budget in this case maxes out at around $200 (which I should have mentioned). All of the aforementioned headphones can be had either new or like-new for somewhere at or below that price.

May 3, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Actually, in this case sound quality isn't the top priority. I'll mainly be using these when I'm unable to use my open-back headphones (when others are in the room, studying in a public place, sleeping, etc.) As a result my main concern is comfort and build quality (build quality so that they can be carried around without too much concern). My budget in this case maxes out at around $200 (which I should have mentioned). All of the aforementioned headphones can be had either new or like-new for somewhere at or below that price.

Have you considered the Sony WH-X1000M2s? Should be available used at a fair price. I liked their sound, they are wireless and with NC.

May 5, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 10

It is a bit older, but you can consider the Beyerdynamic custom one pro if sound quality is not the main priority.

Well built, extremely comfortable. Darkish overall sound signature. I've thrown it around without much care for 2 years or more and it is still working very fine. 4 switches to change tuning from basshead to neutralish. Easy to drive.

May 7, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Another vote for the Meze 99! Luxurious sound that is definitely in the warmer part of the spectrum, but not too much, with enough in the high end to give very respectable amount of detail. Very sensitive, and therefore can be driven by just about anything. And gorgeous imo. I just got a set for Christmas and they immediately took the top spot for walking around my neighborhood.

Only caveat, as I'm sure you'll learn if you look into these, is a bit too much on bottom for some. But not obnoxiously so. Many prefer that level bass. (I myself almost always shave off 2dB off the low end with eq.)

I would also like to mention my other favorite for walking around town: the V-Moda XS. They are about $200 and I also highly recommend for warmer sound signature (my preference too.). They're also smaller and definitely more portable, and SUPER sturdy (moreso than the Meze I'd say). I love mine and am very happy to choose them when I don't want to wear something as big & conspicuous as the Meze 99 outside.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 10
I would also like to mention my other favorite for walking around town: the V-Moda XS. They are about $200 and I also highly recommend for warmer sound signature (my preference too.). They're also smaller and definitely more portable, and SUPER sturdy (moreso than the Meze I'd say). I love mine and am very happy to choose them when I don't want to wear something as big & conspicuous as the Meze 99 outside.

V-mode XS IMO are the best portable cans ever. Perfect sound sig for mobile use, best built headphones i've owned, amazing styling, incredibly small, tons of features. clamp an ES100 on them and you have a sick portable rig with just your phone.

I got mine for like $110 on amazon warehouse (after my previous favorite portables, the M80's broke). They can be found all day for around that price or even cheaper on ebay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back