Looking for a portable solution for my dad.
Oct 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Smugsie

Previously known as Nec3
Hi everyone, I'm trying to find an IEM for my dad but he's a tad picky and his preference in sound differs a lot from mine due to his slight hearing loss. The requirements and opinions in bullet points are my dad's, not mine. For example: trying to convince him that a Shozy Zero has enough bass is futile.

What he's looking for is:

1. Good instrument separation.
  2. Sweet, clear mids
  3. Good punchy low end that does not have an invasive mid bass, but would still like to have punchy midbass.
  4. Treble sparkle (8-10khz area)
  5. IEM, or an extremely light and comfortable portable headphone that doesn't get hot.
  6. Less than 300 USD

So far he's tried:

1. Sennheiser IE80: "It kept poking my ears, the treble is not sparkly enough, although I can hear the lower treble"
  2. Etymotic Research ER4S: "My boss yelled behind my back and I didn't hear a thing! His voice had more bass than the earbuds to be honest. I don't want to stick things in my ears that deep anymore"
  3. Sony MDR-1R: "My neck hurt after using it too much, my ears got too hot, the mids weren't clear and the bass was too smooth"
  4. Sony MDR-10R: "I had neck pains, the earcups were too hot and there weren't enough mids"
  5. Shozy Alien: "There's not enough bass"
  6. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro: "It's really good at separating instruments, but it's too heavy and I don't like the mids"
  7. Audio Technica A900X: "How much did these cost? $600? They're really good, but has the same issue as the other headphones: It's heavy and my ears were sweating"
  8. AKG Q701: "Too much mids, I don't like headphones anymore"
  9. Sennheiser HD598: "It's lighter, my neck still hurts and the mids sound too thick, not enough bass too"
  10. Audio Technica CKM500: "Perfect! But I want a little more higher treble and the midbass is too much, maybe more soundstage too would be nice"
(In fact he never gave back the CKM500 ever since I gave it to him 6 years ago)

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 3
JVC HA-FX750, CKS990, or Sony MDR-XB90EX :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back