Looking for a portable pair of 'phones
Jul 20, 2007 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Wolfstan

New Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones best suited for portable use.

Sound? I'm not too picky, since the custom EQ on cowon players has always been great. Quality has to be fair, though. I'm going to be putting a lot of rock, metal, and the like through 'em. (Can't get pumped in the gym by listening to Beethoven's 5th. :] ) I'm not using a portable amp.

Usage? Listening to music while in-transit (Cowon iAudio7), playing handheld (DS Lite), and most importantly listening to music while running/weightlifting/light heavybag work. I need something that will stay on/in my ears (which are 2inx1.5in about). Earbuds without clips just don't seem to like my ears very much. Something with a band or solid earclip would be nice. Comfortable fit over extended use and stability on the ears is what I need.

Size? Small enough... pocket-size is good. Consider the usage.

Budget? Flexible. Below 150USD is a generous bar.

There, that covers most. Any takers?

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 18
with all the weight lifting and all that stuff, the only options i can see are the Koss Poprta Pro, which i don't think will cut the mustard.

the only others that i have that might do the job are the AKG K27i's. The JBL reference 410's might do the job, as well. essentially the AKG's and the JBL's are the same headphones.

AKG
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5017461&sr=8-2

JBL
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/...&Go.y=13&Go=Go

the AKG's are tight fitting and they have foamy inserts on the headband which do keep things in place. They give a performance that belies their size. it's full bass, full fat performance.

they have a good firm clamping effect, which will be important for your needs.

hands up, they're not the most comfortable option, but for staying clamped to your head i can't see many other options.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 18
The suggestions you made seem solid. While browsing over them, and I stumbled across a headphone that I almost got for my old mini-disc player, the Sennheiser PX100. I've only heard good things about it, and I've owned Sennheiser earbuds before. Decisions, decisions...

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 18
FutureSonics Atrio M5 + Shure Foamies easy.

Retail is $200, but on eBay there is a seller called Road Dog Online. Make an offer to them of $130 and they'll accept it, plus $9.99 for shipping. I got my foamies elsewhere; I think BestBuy or a similar chain and there was a promotional free shipping on it: just under $150.
wink.gif

They're IEMs by the way.

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfstan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The suggestions you made seem solid. While browsing over them, and I stumbled across a headphone that I almost got for my old mini-disc player, the Sennheiser PX100. I've only heard good things about it, and I've owned Sennheiser earbuds before. Decisions, decisions...

if you're really thinking of the Sennheiser PX100's then i have one word of advice Don't

please read my review of the igrados (in my signature at the bottom), which feature a test against the Sennnheiser twins (px100 and PX200).

basically the igrados offer better bass than both, great sound staging. i have to say that the igrados are my favorite grado headphones. i didn't expect much from them, but i can't stop raving about them.

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 18
I love the iGrados, don't get me wrong...just look at my avatar, but the PX100s aren't exactly stinkers. If you listen to a lot of electronic music or rap, then I would choose the PX100s over the iGrados. But yes...especially modded, the iGrados are the best portable I've heard...and there are more than a few in my sig.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're really thinking of the Sennheiser PX100's then i have one word of advice Don't

please read my review of the igrados (in my signature at the bottom), which feature a test against the Sennnheiser twins (px100 and PX200).

basically the igrados offer better bass than both, great sound staging. i have to say that the igrados are my favorite grado headphones. i didn't expect much from them, but i can't stop raving about them.

I see... Well, I don't particularly like street-style phones. How does the iGrado compare to the AKG 27i? At this point I'm leaning for the AKG's/JBL's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ataraxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FutureSonics Atrio M5 + Shure Foamies easy.

Retail is $200, but on eBay there is a seller called Road Dog Online. Make an offer to them of $130 and they'll accept it, plus $9.99 for shipping. I got my foamies elsewhere; I think BestBuy or a similar chain and there was a promotional free shipping on it: just under $150.
wink.gif

They're IEMs by the way.

The Atrio M5, eh? Where could I find Shure Foamies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the iGrados, don't get me wrong...just look at my avatar, but the PX100s aren't exactly stinkers. If you listen to a lot of electronic music or rap, then I would choose the PX100s over the iGrados. But yes...especially modded, the iGrados are the best portable I've heard...and there are more than a few in my sig.

Like I said, I'm going to be working/rocking out with these phones. I guess I should just admit that I'm a metalhead.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 18
I believe I got them for BestBuy, because of the free shipping promotion. But I do believe you can get them off a certain eBay seller for $10 and shipped worldwide; although I'm not sure who that seller is specifically. The name must be lying around somewhere in the FutureSonics Atrio M5 thread a page or two back.

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 18
What about the Shure site itself?
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...eves/index.htm
What am I looking for in particular? It seems the black foamies are the ones M5 owners here at headfi keep talking about.

I've never used IEMs. How well do they stay in your ears during active use? (Such as described in the 1st post.)
After researching perhaps a little too long, I am pretty sure I'll make the leap and get the M5's. Now, if I buy them from Road Dog Online, should I be concerned in any way about their quality? The return policy is good enough that if I end up not liking them, I can return them easily. Head-fiers seem to respect the M5's, and since I have no IEM to compare them to, I'll have to bank on the "ignorance is bliss" maxim. :]

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 18
Update; is there a difference in the sound of the M8 and M5 or is it only the color?

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfstan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said, I'm going to be working/rocking out with these phones. I guess I should just admit that I'm a metalhead.

A bunch of people who have owned/heard both actually prefer the iGrados over the SR-60s.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 18
I've never sported a pair of SR60, but I have the MS-1, so I don't doubt Grado's (or Alessandro's, for that matter) quality. But will the iGrado cut it for working out? Maybe I should get them and see if they work well and sound good. I can always return them, I figure. Same with the M5/M8. Although 160 bucks is a little over budget, I can still afford them.

Sometimes I wish there were a way to grab sample headphones out of thin air and test them for yourself.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 18
I ride a bicycle 10 mile per day and haven't had any problem. I think I've read about people running with them. I can't imagine weightlifting would challenge them too much. The PX100s are good for activity also. I'm not a fan of the KSC-75s. The iCans and HFI-15G fit way too loose. The portapros are pretty good because you can adjust how snug they are on your head...you can really make them grip. I'm not a fan of IEMs because of sweat.

So purely for activity, I would rank 1) portapros 2) PX100s 3) iGrados. For SQ, it would be 1) iGrados 2) PX100s 3) portapros. But they are pretty similar. I think you'd be happy with any of them...if you're looking for an open supra aural.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 18
The only problem I could see while lifting would be when benching. Other than that I don't foresee any problems with using the iGrado. I walk and ride my bike with them and really do like them for both comfort and SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back