Looking for a portable CD player
Aug 17, 2001 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FrostyMMB

500+ Head-Fier
I'll be getting an amp soon, so I'm now looking for a good sounding portable CDP with a good line out. Apparently there aren't any current models that have sound that compares with the quality of early ones, so I looked around the web for some of old models, and here's what cought my eye as being a possible solution for me...

Sony D-E561
Sony D-E775
Sony D-E885
Sony D-E905
Sony D-777
Sony D-E456CK/446CK
Sony D-E776CK
Panasonic SL-S260

I'd like some info on these if anyone has experience with them. My budget is probably around $150, and some of these seem to be way up there in price. I didn't include the SL-CT570 or 470 because from what I've hear lately, it's really not as good as was thought. Maybe that's just out of the headphone jack, so if someone can assure me that the line output is very good, then I will reconsider.

Anyway, I found a Sony D-231 in my basement last night (92-93 model, looks similiar to this one http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M...4b45d5/i-1.JPG ). It had problems reading discs and would skip constantly, and the headphone jack almost didn't work at all. I opened it up, reconnected the ribbon that leads to the laser device, and resoldered some points on the headphone jack. Works well enough now to use. Anyone have experience with this?

If there is a current model with a line out that sounds really good, I'd like to hear about that as well. If anyone's got a suggestion for a different player, I'm all ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 7
You'll know my suggestion before you read it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sony D777 all the way! (unless you can find a D-E905, same size as the D777 but reportedly even better components / sound)

You've already heard about the self equalising sound through the headphone jack and also the line out (apart from being quieter than a full size CDP (are ALL portable CDPs quieter than there big brothers??)) sounds incredibly clear and sweet, although lacking in the midrange presence of full size units
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 7
FrostyMMB,

check this link out

http://www.primeoutlets.com/p.cfm/centers/Kenosha/

this outlet mall in WI has a sony factory store. go in and buy the oldest sony portable you can find. look on the bottom of the display units for the date of manufacture. the sony outlet store in birch run, michigan, had two different models from april 1999 (including my d-e776ck). almost everything in the store is refurbished however (i've never had a problem with refurbished stuff).

by the way, the headphone out of the pano 470 isn't that hot--the line out sounds pretty good.

arnett

Aug 18, 2001 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd go for the D-E905 or 777 if you can find one but that's probably the most expensive you can find. I heard someone say the D-E775 sounded better than the D-E5XX models so it might be a good one to try, it also looks really cool. I have the D-E446CK and it sounds better than the Panasonic 470 out of headphone and line out but it probably doesn't sound as good as the ones mentioned above. Also the D-E456CK is quite a bit better than the 446CK cause it's got a backlit display (with ac adaptor) and the skip protection is improved a lot on it (40 seconds super esp2 instead of 10 seconds useless esp2). I can walk around with mine in my hand w/o ESP on but if I try and do anything really rough with it ESP doesn't even help any.

Scratch the Panasonic SL-S260 off your list. It's not really that old and Panasonic's from that era still only had a 10mw/ch amp instead of the 15mw/ch that the Sony's have. If you look for an older Panasonic get something like a SL-S140 (no skip protection) or SL-S340 (10 second skip protection) I know someone who has one of these old beasts and they hold up good and sound good. I think they're 15mw/ch maybe 20.

Aug 18, 2001 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 7
i got the sony d777 from jandr.com a few years ago for about $120. i guess i lucked out. it has spoiled me for other portables, even the panasonic headroom sells. right now it actually sounds pretty good with my sony cd1700 cans without an amp (mofi police synchronicity), although i'm now considering a supreme or cosmic headroom amp (do those things have switchable cross-feed & balance control?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back