Looking for a player, Sony, Cowon, other?
Jul 4, 2009 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a few things.

1. Minimum 16 gigabytes, 32 preferred.
2. No preference on flash or HD based.
3. Functioning and useful equalizer.
4. Drag and drop capability preferred but not required.
5. Video capability
6. Good battery life. 25+ hours of audio would be great.

I own a D2, Sony A818 and Ipod Photo/Video. Out of the three I prefer the Sony's sound the best, but I still like the sound on the D2 and other things about it. I recently borrowed someones clip to check the sound on it, and while it did sound good it just doesn't have the kind of space I'm looking for. I've been looking at the S9 and X1060 but considering I have a D2 with a 16gb SD card it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to buy the 32GB S9. On the other hand, the Sony X looks interested and the raving about the SQ has my interest - but it seems like it is a bit too expensive for what it does besides play music. I'm leaning towards the Sony X, but since all I need is 32gb's, video capability, good battery life, and good SQ I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or input.

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks. Did some looking around. Looks like the O2 is out and the P3 seems interesting.

Three way battle between the X1060, S9, and P3?

I am skeptical it is worthwhile to upgrade from the D2 to the S9 though since the improvements and functionality changes would be marginal?

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nausicaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind waiting, you could see how the tegra chip based DAPs are.

If it consumes less for music, it'll focus on wifi, games etc... There is no point of waiting if SQ is desired.

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 18
I dont know if the SQ on the P3 is significantly better than it is on my P2, but I have read good things about DNSe 3.0, Samsung's latest iteration of their EQ software. This is what anythingbutipod.com had to say:

Sound Quality
For the vast majority the sound quality will do more than please. Compared to the P2 its an overall improvement in clarity and overall flatness of the spectrum. Being overly critical I find that its missing a bit or warmth and tends to have a sound stage that’s a little more narrow than the Cowon S9 and Sansa Clip. However, Samsung’s in house sound shaping technology, DNSe 3.0, makes it a little more interesting.

I’m typically not a huge fan of sound enhancing technologies; my complaints being that these enhancements sound too synthetic. The only one I have found to be acceptable is BBE (used in professional studios and typically found on all Cowon players). The third revision of DNSe is a different story. I still don’t find DNSe to be as good as BBE, but in this latest version it is much more natural. For instance there is a “clarity” tweak which opens up that slightly lacking sound stage without the synthetic haze and the equivalent of BBE “MachBass” can bring back some of that low end warmth. In addition there is a 7 band EQ for further sound tweaking.

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 18
Yeah. Thanks. I read that but it leaves me guessing. Just how much more interesting does the DNSE make it?

The comment about the stage being smaller than the S9 worries me the most, and also the part about it lacking warmth. I don't think M3B goes low enough to bring in the warmth I'd like on the D2 so if it's similar on the P3 that could be a problem. I'm also having a hard time finding any P3's to buy here in the US. Looks like it'll be a few weeks before they're readily available here.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 18
I'd get the Cowon D2/D2+ since it comes in 16GB sizes. Also it has better clairty and separation than the Zune/Iriver has in my opinion.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get the Cowon D2/D2+ since it comes in 16GB sizes. Also it has better clairty and separation than the Zune/Iriver has in my opinion.

He has the D2.
and he was worried about the S9 not being a big enough of an upgrade.
I don't think the d2+ would really be a different situation.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 18
Yeah I'm leaning towards the X right now but hoping for a price drop. I heard it dropped in price in Aus recently. $350 or so would be much better, and maybe still a bit overpriced.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 18
Read this review ( Sony X Series X-1000 Review ), and know that the X1000 series is said to have better SQ than even the Cowon S9 (and the P3 & D2+ as well). I've a X1060 on the way, so I'm curious about it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back