Looking for a phono stage
May 29, 2005 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
I've decided to complete rework this thread.
After quite a bit more listening, this bluenote is unbearably bright, and I've gone back to the reciever. I think I'll take bln's advice and look into a different cartridge, and keep this one for when I give the table to my brother.
If I keep the cartridge under $200, then I can probably fit the bottlehead seduction into my budget, and I might be able to find a used PH-1.
There is an ortofon X3-MC on audiogon for a good price, and I've heard interesting things about the Denon DL-160/110. How would those compare to an ortofon OM-20/30 or AT440ML?

May 30, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 6
In my experience, cartridge upgrades have been immediately apparent and drastic; phono stage upgrades, not so. I have used several Grado cartridges, including the Green, and have not enjoyed them. I think you'd do well to spend your few hundred dollars on a nice MM or high-output MC cartridge that would work with your receiver and be good enough to keep when you upgrade your table. That's just been my experience, if you want cartridge rec's I have a few.

May 30, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 6
i'm assuming that the Seduction is only for MM/HO MC. i don't know what your arm is, but either of the Denon 110/160 may work nicely depending on the arm's effective mass. i have a 110 on my Basis1400/OL-rb250 into a Naim MM Stageline that is freaky fantastic for the money. Denons are super duper VFM. if The Big Lebowski owned a cart, a 110/160 would be the only one.

Skoal,
Corey

May 30, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13
if The Big Lebowski owned a cart, a 110/160 would be the only one.

It really ties the rig together.

May 31, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 6
found a phono stage to tide me over, and to sate my thirst for modding. I just picked up a Rotel RQ-970BX, and will probably mod the hell out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back