Looking for a pair of sub-$200 closed, circumaural headphones for music (metal), movies/shows.
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

murky44

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 438s that I've had for about two and a half years now, and I feel like it's time for an upgrade. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on what to buy. My budget is $200 max, but I'd prefer to spend around $175 or less. I'm willing to spend a little more for a better pair.

I'm looking to get a pair of closed, over-ear headphones that can provide at least some passive noise isolation (similar to that of my HD 438).

Not sure if this makes any sense, but I'd like something with a balanced, neutral sound, but at the same time I'd like to hear separation between mids, highs, and lows. No huge emphasis on any one frequency range, but an equally strong response across the board. I'd want a pair that can provide accurate sound and that will allow me to hear more detail in the music I listen to (or at least as much as my budget will allow).

Also comfort is a huge factor, since I'm gonna be wearing them for long periods of time.

My main purpose for buying these will be for music. I pretty much only listen to metal (mainly symphonic and death metal). I'll also be using them to watch a lot of movies/TV shows.

I'm currently using the onboard sound of this motherboard as my source, but I am looking to also buy a dedicated sound card soon (probably something from the Xonar line). I do some gaming here and there, but my priority is to have a pair that I can enjoy listening to my music and watching movies/shows with.

So far, I've considered the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, and SoundMAGIC HP100. The Beyer looks super comfortable and is the one I keep seeing come up as I've beem researching. Though I'm not sure how well my current audio source can drive a pair of DT 770s (80 or 250ohm, which to get?). I don't know how well the HD 380 Pro would fit my needs. The HP100 looks pretty good, but I don't know how comfortable it is. Which one of these would fit my needs best? I really don't know what else to consider, so I'm hoping I could get a recommendation on any of the ones I've mentioned, or other pairs I haven't discovered yet.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm version, and I think it's a perfect match for your criteria.  You can drive it and it will sound good with your motherboard audio or smartphone, but it will sound better with a better amp.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 7
My vote goes for the DT770 or the HP100.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm gonna go with the DT 770 80 ohm.

I'm trying to find a decent price on a pair of DT 770 80 Ohm headphones, but there doesn't seem to be many places that sell it. Amazon only has has third-party seller options, with the cheapest being $200 shipped, and there's a new pair on eBay for $175, but I don't know if I'll get the manufacturer warranty if I buy from there.

Does anyone know anywhere reputable online I can get it for under $200?

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I bought mine at my local Guitar Center for $200: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-80-Closed-Studio-Headphones-102512019-i1126937.gc

Not sure if you have to pay tax and/or shipping if you buy on their website.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back