Looking for a pair of open headphones around the $200 range
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NineRedTools

New Head-Fier
I currently have the beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 headphones, and they are wonderful. I love them and plan to keep them, but I'd also like an open pair of headphones as well, mostly for gaming, but a little bit of music.

I'd like for the headphone to have:
- Good, impacting bass (so nothing like HD598, akg, other bass-light headphones)
- Good soundstage is a must
- Comfort
- Balanced frequency response, maybe even a little more in the low-end and high-mids
- Good build quality

Impedance doesn't matter as I have a Schiit Magni 2 amp.

I wouldn't like to spend over $200

I've already looked at these:
- AD900X - I hear it has an artificial sound and an inaccurate soundstage

- beyerdynamic DT880/DT990 - I kind of like beyerdynamics' style, but I don't know if the DT880/DT990 is much of a difference from DT770s to warrant my purchase

- grado SR80e - Not a huge fan of on-ear

- Philips Fidelio X1 - a bit out of my budget, but it seems like a really nice headphone

- Sony MDRMA900 - These seem like the best option out of the ones I've seen, but the sub-par build quality is one thing that made me think again

If it helps, I mostly play games like CS:GO, Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Black Ops II, and I'll get GTAV when it comes out.

I mostly listen to industrial, grunge, rock, classical, some dubstep (although my DT770s can take care of that), and whatever genre Red Hot Chili Peppers is

Nine Inch Nails
Radiohead
Tool
Audioslave
Stuff like that

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Fidelio X1 apparently has more bass, and the X2 is more expensive. Fidelio X1 is barely cutting my budget anyways, as it can be had for just around $200

Also, about the Audio Technicas, you say they're bass light. I know they're open headphones, but do they still have an impact? Say, like an explosion in battlefield 4, or a shot from a sniper rifle.

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I own AD700 (their younger brother). I am not a serious gamer by any means, so don't take my word, but I actually enjoy FPS in those quite a bit. To me, they actually deliver enough punch without overpowering and muddying the detail that you need for positioning.

(In general, all the highly-recommended "audiophile-gaming" cans tend to be bass-light since too much bass is considered a bad thing.)

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Soundmagic HP200. I own them and recently grabbed a pair of Fidelio X1's thinking they would be an upgrade. Well I was VERY wrong. The HP200's do everything better except for soundstage. I was in shock when I first listened to the X1's. The HP200's should have a larger following on here, they just aren't very well known yet. Worth checking into them for sure.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 8
The AD900X would be a good call for what you're looking for. They aren't bass light, but they aren't bass heavy either. Easy to EQ if you need more subbass. They do have significantly more bass than the AD700X. Not sure where you heard they were artificial, but they aren't and I suspect that comes from someone who assumes that any bright upper mid is artificial. The soundstage is very good for movies and games and I've found it to have plenty of impact as well as good positional accuracy, especially if you've got the right soundcard and/or surround settings for your games. 

I haven't tried the others you've listed, but I hope that helps you out on the 900X at least. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back