Looking for a pair of noise cancelling headphones for all genres.
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

lachb

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am going on a big trip soon and I Am thinking of upgrading my headphones.

I was looking into noise cancelling and have that the bose qc 15 are great at noise cancelling but lack the sound quality.

The other option would be maybe the audio technica m-50 with great sound but I am not sure what the isolation is like on them.

Any other suggestions, under $300, preferably noise cancelling?

Thanks

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 35
I like the Polk Audio Ultra Focus 8000. You can get them under $300 if you shop around. Noise cancelling is only ok but they sound amazing. Denon AH-NC800 are also good if you can still find them may get them under $200.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 35
Have you considered an IEM? I have an Etymotic and I think they provide good isolation, based on >10 hr-long flights.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 35
I have considered IEMs and I am amazed with the isolation they provide but my main problem with them is comfort.

Thanks for the idea but I would prefer a pair of over ear cans.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:
I have considered IEMs and I am amazed with the isolation they provide but my main problem with them is comfort.

Thanks for the idea but I would prefer a pair of over ear cans.

You can buy custom tips for better comfort. 

Akg also makes Noise cancelling headphones, but i don't have experience. Cant comment. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 35
I know i'm being really fussy here but the akg's are on ear and i would really rather a pair of noise cancelling over ear headphones.
does anyone know if you can still buy the Denon ah-nc800.

Thanks for the comments and ideas though, i really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Code:

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 35
I've personally got my hands on a Parrot Zik recently. It is a superbly high tech can and performs extremely well on ANC. Timbre is also outstanding across the entire range.

Some of them are going for well under your budget on ebay.

So what do you think? Is it an option you may consider?

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 35
Hi,
I would prefer to buy from a shop so I can see what they feel and sound like and the parrot zik retails at $400 so I don't think I could buy them.

Do timbre make a pair of nc cans?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 35
Hi,
I would prefer to buy from a shop so I can see what they feel and sound like and the parrot zik retails at $400 so I don't think I could buy them.

Do timbre make a pair of nc cans?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 35
I have the sony MDR NC60s.  I used them on the plane and the noise cancelling was pretty good.  The sound quality is ok as well and it works when/if the battery goes out for the noise cancelling.  The sound was pretty even and typical of sony sound quality (which in my opinion is pretty good, but may not be great depending on your ears and musical preference).  I listen to hard rock, metal, rap and therefore I like my cans to have a strong bass response.  These are ok in that department, but I have cans that have better bass (sennheiser 280 HD, ath m50).  Overall, they are better than average in noise cancelling (better than beats executives, but maybe not as good as bose qc-15), but the sound IMO is better than the bose for my taste.  The QC15 made my tunes sound a bit sterile.  So for the compromise, I like these.  Also they look pretty cool IMO.  A lot of times you gotta choose style vs sound, but I think these have the best of all of the above variables (sound, NC, and style).  Just my humble opinion. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 35
From the reviews i've read they do sound like a nice option compared to the Bose qc 15 but they are not on the sony website and i am unsure whether they still make them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back