looking for a pair of new headphones.
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AsheMc

New Head-Fier
my price range is around 100-200 or so. right now i'm looking at the ath ad-700 headphones and wondering if these are good choices. i'm also considering a used pair of ultrasone HFi-780.

sounds they will be used for: i do some recording (guitar and cello if that helps) as well as listen to many genres and diverse forms of music such as traditional chinese, big band, classical types, traditional middle eastern types, hard rock, electronica, blues, etc. i do not however like rap or reggae.

they will be used on: my iphone, macbook pro, and my desktop thats running an asus xonar essence stx card. and if it helps, i'm a woman and my ears are on the small side.
i'd preffer them to have some noise cancellation, nothing active persay, just enough that prevents sound when recording my instruments from leaking through, as well as when i travel. these will need to be an all purpose type but with the ability to record with.

let me know if i need to add anything.
p.s. i also like headphones that aren't black. blues, black, wooden etc.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 8
how does the sure stack up with the akg k141's? i've used those before and they were moderately good. they didn't however wow me with fidelity and sound reproduction.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 8
The Shure are very balanced, great if your recording. and also it means they will sound great with any genre of music.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Gonna recommend the Audio Technica AD700, since your music tastes seem like they don't require overwhelming bass. Definitely check them out.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Gonna recommend the Audio Technica AD700, since your music tastes seem like they don't require overwhelming bass. Definitely check them out.

how do they stack up to traveling and such (in planes and everything)?

edit: and to add, i was messaged that i should check out fischer audio 003's. whats the difference between them and the 002's? because they seem very interesting, and i'd like to make my own wooden cups for it :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
how do they stack up to traveling and such (in planes and everything)?

edit: and to add, i was messaged that i should check out fischer audio 003's. whats the difference between them and the 002's? because they seem very interesting, and i'd like to make my own wooden cups for it :)

Well, that's an entire different story. Since it is an open headphone (the AD700) they provide little to no sound isolation when wearing them. And sound leakage is pretty significant too. Unfortunately, for just use on a plane, look around at some closed back headphones that catch your fancy. Closed headphones generally provide better sound isolation, passive noise cancelling (doesn't require batteries) and very little sound leakage so others don't hear what your'e listening to. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back