looking for a pair of headphones
Feb 19, 2002 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JungleJim

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for advice and opinions on a pair of headphones...

Anyway, I've got the following list of 'requirements':
- for listening to (mainly) classical music
- shouldn't need an amp (i.e. I should be able to use it with my PCDP, a Sony D-EJ815)
- but also for plugging into my soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy)
- not too expensive (EUR 100 max, but rather something less like EUR 50 - EUR 75)
- shouldn't leak too much sound
- but on the other hand, shouldn't block all outside sound
- comfortable, but I guess this is very dependent on the person wearing the headphones.

I made the following (non-exhaustive) list of candidates by looking at other posts in this forum:
- Sennheiser HD497. Seems pretty good, and it fits the budget nicely (EUR 69 where I live).
- Philips HP550. Didn't find much about this one, but it's pretty cheap here (around EUR 30).
- Sony MDR-V6. Don't know if it is possible to get these here.
- Grado SR-60. Seems to leak much sound, and besides it seems it's not easy to get Grados here in the Netherlands.

Previous headphone experience comes from the Sennheiser MX500, which are great for portable use. However, I'm just another newbie, so I don't know how much that experience counts
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I haven't listened to any of the headphones mentioned above, mainly because the place where I live doesn't have any good store.

So, anyone care to share his/her opinions on these matters?

Feb 19, 2002 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 12
You might be disappointed with the V6's, since they have a notoriously narrow soundstage, which would make classical music listening in general less satisfying. If your listening tastes were more varied, I would recommend them.

I advise against the Grado 60's. They will not make you happy.

P.S. the 497's might have the right sound, but they are open headphones and will provide no isolation.

Feb 19, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi Jim---

497s sound like the right phones for you. They're good with classical and don't leak TOO much sound. They're much much quieter than the Grados though not as silent as the V6s. As cajunchrist points out though the V6s are not the best with classical. And the 497 and SR60 are similar enough in sound not to justify the added expense and difficulty of getting the Grados. Can't help you out with the 550s though; haven't heard em. The significantly lower price point may be a cause of concern. Or it may not! Again if you can try before you buy, do so...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Howdy JJ

I "auditioned" the HP550 for about a week and came away rather unimpressed by their sound. If you can afford the extra euro try the Phillips HP890 which most owners agree are excellent value for money, and easily driven without an amp.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 12
As a (proud) HP 550 owner I should say that they're quite good considering their price. For me they're the best sounding sub $50 phones out there. However if yoy budget allows you to go with the 497, so much the better. They're better sounding cans.

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 12
look for some Philips cans, like the HP890 (or 840 even). they sound about as good as the HD497, but are waay more comfortable and better constructed as well.

the sr60 isn't what you're looking for. the v6 I have never seen around here. the HP550 is not going to be much of a step up from the mx500.

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I'll definately look into the Philips 'phones, they shouldn't be too hard to get here. What about the prices of those HP890 and HP840 models? I cannot find any pricing info on them, except that the HP890 should be around $60.

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Hey Jungle--

just bear in mind that the 890 is pretty large and comparatively heavy, so it may not be ideal for portable use, if that is one of your main priorities.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Jungle Jim, check marktplaats.nl. the guy I sold my HD565's is selling them now (he has too many headphones). they really kick serious but if you listen a lot of classical and they're easily driven from weaker sources (tho more power opens em up some). 85 Euro is a nice deal for such headphones.

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
Hey Jungle--

just bear in mind that the 890 is pretty large and comparatively heavy, so it may not be ideal for portable use, if that is one of your main priorities.

Portability is not a top priority. It's just that it's easier to use my PCDP or computer for listening to music, either at home or at work. The HP890s do seem very large, though. The 497s seem a lot smaller compared, judging by the product photos.

Quote:

Jungle Jim, check marktplaats.nl. the guy I sold my HD565's is selling them now (he has too many headphones). they really kick serious but if you listen a lot of classical and they're easily driven from weaker sources (tho more power opens em up some). 85 Euro is a nice deal for such headphones.

As this is my first buy, I'd like to listen to a couple of 'phones before buying, if possible. Thanks for the tip, though!

Feb 19, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 12
JungleJim,

You might look for the Sennheiser 212. Some of us suspect that they're a closed version of the 497. So far there haven't been any reviews of the 212 so this is just hearsay. If you're leaning towards the 497 but want less noise leakage and more isolation this might be what you're looking for. If the dealer you're buying from has a good return policy maybe you can get both and return the one you don't like. If you do, please post a review, we'd really like to know how they sound. I've been looking for some myself but haven't found any in the US, only their lesser cousin the 202. I'm hoping the 212s have the clarity of the 497 but with a warmer sound (based on delenda est Sony's review of the 202).

(HBZ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back