Looking for a pair of headphones
Jan 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

newbie1832

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post..
so i was looking around head-fi, trying to find a reliable pair of headphones that are great sounding, closed and hopefully are rather portable, and fall below 300 USD.
now im stuck between these choices:
Shure srh840
skullcandy aviators
AT A700 (not portable)
AT pro700mkii

any other suggestions? i will mostly be using them at home or on the plane, i use my old pair of philips stretch headphones when on the move. Thanks in advance!

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 10

840 is the only one there that I would dare use on a crowded plane - if you're intending on using them
on a plane then isolation is crucial unless you wish to become the bane of the air staff :)

You might even want to look into a noise canceller, I loathe the things but in your case..

AT Pro MK2 700 is a basshead headphone while the 840 is more balanced sounding.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 10
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), nice sound, easy to drive, cups are on the small side for around ear headphones.
Great price at Amazon and Creative Labs.

I've heard good things said about Shures too.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:

840 is the only one there that I would dare use on a crowded plane - if you're intending on using them
on a plane then isolation is crucial unless you wish to become the bane of the air staff :)

You might even want to look into a noise canceller, I loathe the things but in your case..

AT Pro MK2 700 is a basshead headphone while the 840 is more balanced sounding.

thanks! i hope there's good isolation, but i wouldn't like noise cancelling. its more expensive, and they require batteries. the circuitry stuff gives a "fake" sound to the headphones, which is what i don't like.

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 10
I tested the shures. Pretty good but I found the bass a bit too noticeable for my taste. Not muddy but nice and warm but still too present for my taste. I went for the Beyer 770 pro. My clip+ had no problems driving the shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back