Looking for a pair of headphones under $170
Sep 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tehshower

New Head-Fier
Hello, First time head-fier here

I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones (over ear or on ear) for school. It'd be great if someone could help me decide or recommend another pair.
I've been lurking the forums almost two weeks and I've narrowed it down to these headphones:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD 558
V-Moda M-80
Anything you guys recommend :D

I will be using these mostly for listening to music. Comfort is definitely important since I'm going to be wearing them fairly often. Portable headphones would also be great if they're available.
My budget is up to $170 USD.
I don't think it'll help but I'll list the headphones that I already have.

Headphones I already have:

Sony MDR-V6
Sony XB500
Yamaha EPH-100SL
T-Peos H-100
VSonic GR06

I usually listen to JPop, Songs from Anime, Rap, Pop, Dubstep, Trance, and EDM.
Thanks!

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Sennheiser HD 558 are open headphones. If you need isolation from your environment, you should stick to closed headphones.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 are good all arounders. I think them a step up from the Sony V-6 with better bass response.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Sennheiser HD 558 are open headphones. If you need isolation from your environment, you should stick to closed headphones.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 are good all arounders. I think them a step up from the Sony V-6 with better bass response.

Hello!

Totally agree with ^ his says!

Other headphones to look into as well are:
Sennheiser HD439
Shure SRH-840
Ultimate Ears UE6000 (if you can find it within your budget)

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Do the HD 558s block out computer fan noise? I have around four fans running and it's pretty loud.
Quote:
Hello!

Totally agree with ^ his says!

Other headphones to look into as well are:
Sennheiser HD439
Shure SRH-840
Ultimate Ears UE6000 (if you can find it within your budget)

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the recommendations, will look into them. What's the difference between the 558s and the 439s?
Quote:
Heya,

I would look into:

AKG K167
Ultrasone HFI780
Logitech UE6000
Beyer DT770 PRO
AudioTechnica PRO700MKII
AudioTechnica WS7

Very best,

The Beyer DT770 PRO looks nice, do I need an amp for this and which one do I choose if I do consider buying it?
 Although, the top choice seems the M50s.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 11
They do fine. But so should many of the other closed headphones recommended in this thread. :)

+1 for the isolation! The HD439 have a more broad forward bass althought not too strong in comparison to the HD558.

I actually prefer the HD439 over ATH-M50 for daily listening xD

Billson :)

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Jumped the gun on the M-50s and they sound great. Thanks for the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back