Looking for a pair of headphones for gaming
Apr 20, 2016 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

WHYWONTMYNAMEFI

New Head-Fier
Hey, everyone. Quite new when it comes to high-end headphones, but I'll get to the point. I'm looking for some nice headphones for gaming that won't exceed my budget of around $250. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 31
Before I suggest to you what headphones to get, can you tell us a little more about how you will use them?

Will your headphones be used in noisy or public spaces or are you using them exclusively in a private area without external noise. 
If you do use them in a noisy area will you ever be taking them outside? 
Would you rather go for a headphone that provides a "surround sound" feel or is the immersive aspect lower on your list. 
Do the headphones need to be high durability or just good build quality? 
I'm assuming you don't need a mic since you asked for "headphones" but if you're in the market for that too you may want to consider it in the mix. 
Do you prefer on-ear or over-ear?
Lastly, would you be ok looking at second-hand headphones, some people are, others aren't, you may be able to find higher quality headphones at the same price that are barely used or brand-new if you look second-hand, it will allow us to look at a wider budget to help pick your best choice.

I know there can be a lot of questions, you can just answer how you wish, you don't need to answer them all, one of the more important questions however is if you will be using them in a private space or not because that can help us determine if you want open-back or closed-back.

Thanks,
-Nemo

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 31
Philips SHP9500 + Vmoda boompro mic

I would think that most will recommend the beyerdynamic mmx300. It's $350 retail but Amazon warehouse has it for $220 right now.

The MMX300 is basically a DT770 + a microphone.
Most gamers would rather pay for the DT770 and buy a separate cheap microphone that clips onto the cable or sticks to the side like the Antlion mod mic since it's much cheaper that way.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 31
  Hey, everyone. Quite new when it comes to high-end headphones, but I'll get to the point. I'm looking for some nice headphones for gaming that won't exceed my budget of around $250. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!

For FPS gaming, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X ($114) or Sennheiser HD558 ($99) would be about as much as you would need to spend, for FPS gaming headphones.
If your also looking for headphones that offer improvement in audio quality, like for music or movies, then you would want to at least spend most of your $250 budget.
Like maybe the Soundmagic HP200 ($170).

What exactly would you be plugging the headphones into?

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 31
For gaming and without a headphone amplifier I would say:

1. ATH-AD700X - Open back/Leak sound, but very open and airy.. good for long sessions
  2. Ultrasone Performance 840 - Closed back so wont leak noise, S Logic is good for gaming, sturdy construction

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 31
  Before I suggest to you what headphones to get, can you tell us a little more about how you will use them?

Will your headphones be used in noisy or public spaces or are you using them exclusively in a private area without external noise. 
If you do use them in a noisy area will you ever be taking them outside? 
Would you rather go for a headphone that provides a "surround sound" feel or is the immersive aspect lower on your list. 
Do the headphones need to be high durability or just good build quality? 
I'm assuming you don't need a mic since you asked for "headphones" but if you're in the market for that too you may want to consider it in the mix. 
Do you prefer on-ear or over-ear?
Lastly, would you be ok looking at second-hand headphones, some people are, others aren't, you may be able to find higher quality headphones at the same price that are barely used or brand-new if you look second-hand, it will allow us to look at a wider budget to help pick your best choice.

I know there can be a lot of questions, you can just answer how you wish, you don't need to answer them all, one of the more important questions however is if you will be using them in a private space or not because that can help us determine if you want open-back or closed-back.

Thanks,
-Nemo

1. I will be using them privately without external noise.
2. I'm looking for open back headphones, so surround sound I guess?
3. They should just be decent build quality as they won't be taken outside.
4. I will probably get a ModMic or something similar to that. Maybe something more high-end like an AT2020, but a mic isn't my highest priority as of now.
5. Definitely over ear. I hate on ear.
6. I'd prefer brand new headphones.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 31

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd prefer headphones without a mic.

In that case I'll throw these into the mix:

• Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - totally solid build quality
• Beyerdynamic DT880 - as above but more neutral sound, treble might be a bit sharp for some people
• Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium - as above but more powerful bass

The DT770's (closed-backs) are quite popular with gamers too for similar reasons as above.

• Senneheiser HD558 (plastic build but 'soft' sounding - good for VERY long listening sessions without fatigue)

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 31
  In that case I'll throw these into the mix:

• Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - totally solid build quality
• Beyerdynamic DT880 - as above but more neutral sound, treble might be a bit sharp for some people
• Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium - as above but more powerful bass

The DT770's (closed-backs) are quite popular with gamers too for similar reasons as above.

• Senneheiser HD558 (plastic build but 'soft' sounding - good for VERY long listening sessions without fatigue)

Hmm, thanks. What about the ATH-AD700X or ATH-AD900X? Apparently they give very good positional audio, which is what I'm looking for.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 31
Never heard them so I can't comment on them.
The market for Audio Technica and other Japanese headphones in Germany is pretty small for obvious reasons.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 31

Never heard them so I can't comment on them.
The market for Audio Technica and other Japanese headphones in Germany is pretty small for obvious reasons.

So would the 558's be good for positional audio? I'd be playing games such as CS:GO, BF4 etc. Any other headphones with good positional audio that you know of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back