Looking for a pair of headphones < $100
Dec 27, 2004 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ender Wiggin

Head-Fier
I would mainly use them to listen to music with my Rio Karma, or play games on my laptop, and typically in areas that are either loud (airplane, car ride) or music can't leak much (school) so I think closed would be the best choice, although open is ok if the sound leakage isn't really bad (I've never actually used nice open headphones before).

So I'm looking for them to be comfortable, good sound quality for the equipment I use (I'm not interested in looking into an amp right now), and fitting the above description. Thanks

Oh, whoops, forgot to mention what type of music I typically listen to.

It's kinda varied, but mainly hip-hop (I'm NOT a basshead though, bass is nice, but not needed in overpowering amounts), Green Day-esque rock, and a little piano and acoustic guitar.

Dec 27, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 12
MDRV6 can be found on ebay for $65. Used theyre even less. IMHO their mids can be a little bright so if your MP3 player has a mid-EQ that helps a lot. Im not a bass head either but kick drum transients through these are massive. I listen to mine amped and they sound even bigger.

Garrett

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Those are Sony's right? I always thought Sony's were overpriced and generally garbage compared to other brands, but maybe that's just the talk of elitist audiophiles ...which I thought this site would be full of
tongue.gif

I've done some research on the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's and they look like they'd be a great fit for my needs, and the're only $80 now at Amazon which is a big plus. Is there any big reason to go with something else over those? I actually like the coiled cord, doesn't get tangled because of it's length like my current HD212's.

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 12
HD280's are either a hit or miss among users. you either like them, or you dont. plus they need a long burn-in period, as they dont sound very good out of the box IMO. plus, they benefit more with an amp.

the A500 are very efficient cans and can be driven by anything, including your Karma. so IMO, i think the A500 would suit you better.

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender Wiggin
Those are Sony's right? I always thought Sony's were overpriced and generally garbage compared to other brands, but maybe that's just the talk of elitist audiophiles ...which I thought this site would be full of
tongue.gif

Most of their phones are total crap. Pretty much the only models that are good are the MDR-V6, 7506 (which is same as V6's anyway), Eggo D66, and CD3000.

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
Pretty much the only models that are good are the MDR-V6, 7506 (which is same as V6's anyway), Eggo D66, and CD3000.

I have the MDR7506 and would reccomend them. They are fairly isolating, and don't leak too much.

Dec 28, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
Most of their phones are total crap. Pretty much the only models that are good are the MDR-V6, 7506 (which is same as V6's anyway), Eggo D66, and CD3000.

Agree.... And IMHO the V6 really needs an EQ to cut those 3500Hz resonant peaks, depending on the listening material.

To the OP... IMHO you should try and demo them if at all possible. I did and didnt like the V600/V700. IMHO the MDRF1 gets a bad rap on this forum. IMHO its a very good sounding can, a little bass shy but its got good soundstage and imaging going for it.

Lots of folks like the MDR-CDXXX series too. You might want to consider the CD 780 and 580. I think they fall under the $100 mark.

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Head on over to your local guitar center. The one in San jose usually has very poor headphone inventory. But theyre well over-stocked from the hollidays. On the under $100 bargain table I saw HD280, V6, and some beefy looking pioneers.

I ended up walking out with some DT770's and now Im like this...
basshead.gif
The bass on these things is incredible.

Garrett

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 12
Although alot of people don't like them, ( They probably cant get a good seal ), The Sennheiser PX-200's are pretty good for only $50. They are compact, ( Small and fold up very small ), don't bleed sound, and sound decent. Even though the sound isn't as great as some others, they are all around more portable, and more usefull. go Here To see them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 12
I agree get the a500. I wish i did that because i bought some hd280's and a little amp to power them better out of my Dell DJ, thats $130 total. I should of got the just some a500's (without amp), oh well
rolleyes.gif
. The hd28 has awesome bass extension
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back