Looking for a pair of cheap and comfortable headphones
Jun 20, 2009 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

p997tt

New Head-Fier
Hi. I am looking to buy a pair of headphones for one of my friends as a gift. Here are the things she is looking for

- Her main concern is comfort. She wears glasses and doesn't want the headphones to hurt her ears after a while.
- She doesn't care about look and brand.
- She will be using the headphones for digital piano and her laptop, so I would prefer the headphones to include a 1/4" to 1/8" or 1/8" to 1/4" converter.
- Sound quality isn't that important for her.
- The headphones must not require an amp to sound good.
- Open or closed headphones, doesn't really matter

Right now I am looking to spend about US$50 maximum. But if $50 isn't enough for a pair of very comfortable headphones, then I can increase the budget a bit (but not too much as she doesn't like receiving expensive gifts). I can buy from overseas, but that is only if the seller is willing to ship the phones to NZ.

I have zero experience with budget headphones so I really hope you guys can help me out.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 16
Maybe sennheiser PX100's? I remember them being comfortable, cheap and very nice sounding for the money (but I don't know how much they are in NZ). Otherwise there is the JVC FOTM the RX700's.

One thing you might have to take into consideration is the length of the cable as it might need to be pretty long to use with a digital piano

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 16
Oh HD201's were pretty comfortable too, and surprisingly good sounding for the money, the cable is long, it comes with an adaptor.

They aren't the best sounding but they are cheap and I didn't dislike them, I gave my GF mine and she likes them
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise get her some denon D1001's (probably the most comfortable I've tried) and lie to her how much they are
tongue.gif
(but they can be too bassy for some)

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was considering the RX700's, but I don't think any of the shops that ship them to NZ have these in stock. I was hoping to get the phones by the end of next week.

HD201 looks like a good option. The price is well within my budget too.

The Denon's are probably too expensive though.
frown.gif

How are the entry level Audio Technica models like the A500? Are they comfortable?

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 16
the AD/A series of Audio Technica are really comfortable (Their housings are pretty much the same).

I wear glasses sometimes too, and i can wear my AD700s without any problems. The same goes probably for the A500s. the A500s are closed though, the open series (AD500) are supposed to sound beter.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 16
A Denon or one of those Audio-Technicas would be over your $50 budget.

What is your new higher budget, or is it still $50?

The usual comfort complaints for the HD201 is that it clamps too tight, the last think your friend would want.

I suggest you do some NZ price shopping, and then post your options. Typically over half the posts in these type of threads suggest headphones that are not available or are over budget.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 16
HD201 sounds good for a cheap phone, it'll need to stretch for a bit to be more comfortable. But with an amp it'll sound a lot better.

Sometimes I switch and listen to it with an amp, and often ask myself again how can these cheap phone sound this good.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't have an issue with my ksc-75s and glasses after some shaping of the earhook. I'd second the px100's though, if they are available.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 16
If a bit more mid-bass is OK, Koss PortaPro? With the adjustable clamping, and temple pads, they are wonderful headphones for those of us with glasses. They can pull hair, but there is a trick to not having that happen: pull the drivers apart before lifting them off of your head, or lowering them on; rather than moving them up/forward at the same time as out. I now don't lose hair to the PPs.

The KSC75 are OK if she wears glasses with thin temples (most wireframes), but probably not good for thicker glasses (and remember: the clip adjusts! bend it!), unless her ears really stick out.

Attaching primarily to the ears, the PX100 would probably work well, too.

None of them need anything special in terms of powering, yet they take well to some degree of it, if it's available. If she's going to using them portably a lot, like say in a coffee shop or something, I'd think the non-titanium Koss would be excellent, as that boomy bass really does help, even though IEMs are the best answer to that problem
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, I think the Kosses do recess the mids a bit more than the Senns (going by old memory, here), while having more of a lively quality. No clue at all about the HD201 (I'd be more concerned about the glasses than anything else w/ such a headphone).

Good luck finding "the one"!

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 16
FYI the PX100s can be found at sears B&M stores with heavy discounts due to lack of popularity. Reported prices range from $15 to $30. I believe they have some discounted HD201's as well, which sadly do not impress me.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for all the replies so far, the PX100 looks like another good option, too.
smile_phones.gif

As for Grados, I have owned a pair before and I have also thought about getting them for my friend. But they cost a lot in NZ, even the SR60i costs NZ$199 (about US$130).
confused_face.gif

There is the cheaper iGrado option though. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your new higher budget, or is it still $50?

After looking around for a bit, I think I will increase my budget to about US$110-120. Of course, it would be better if I can spend less.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you do some NZ price shopping, and then post your options.

In NZ, you can get pretty much any common Sennheisers. The ones I can choose within my budget are: PX100, HD201, HD202, HD205, HD212, HD515 and HD555.

All the AKG and Denon headphones avaliable here are out of my budget.

The only Grado under my budget is the iGrado.

I also don't mind importing from shops like Audiocubes or Seyo-shop as well.

EDIT:

Another thing I forgot to mention. My friend also wears earrings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back