looking for a nice cheap (<100) gift for a friend
Dec 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

My best friend at college is completing his senior thesis which involves a lot of listening to, transcribing, and analyzing top 40 pop tunes. Every time I walk past his bedroom he's sitting at his desk with headphones on listening to stuff like Ke$ha and scribbling furiously on staff paper. It's a cool project. Anyways, I thought for christmas I'd give him some headphones because so much of his time is spent wearing them, and he always just grabs whatever's closest! I have been completely out of this world for a long time (check my join date!) and I'm completely overwhelmed here! I'm looking for something closed, over-ear (for better comfort than on-ear in long listening sessions), and balanced and detailed so he can hear the nuances of the songs he's trying to transcribe. My budget is only about $50 - $80 so I know I'll have to be making a bunch of sacrifices, but I'm hoping there's some gem in there somewhere in that will shine through. Thanks for the advice!

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 13
IF you can, assuming your price. Try to find an Audio Technica A900x. Check ebay I was able to get one for about $98 open boxon eBay a few months ago. 

They are imo, really very good for the price! No questions asked just plain good

As far as less than that goes, I would recommend the Koss Pro JD 100 

OR better yet the Koss Porta Pro. The porta pro is a little bassy and for pop it's a very good headphone the porta pro is also about $40

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Shure SRH440, if he needs accuracy and quality bass. Can be found for $100 or less sometimes. 

Comfort is ok, but it's possible to change pads. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 13
  While semi closed, (Not much sound leaks out) I would check out the Superlux HD-668B. At $50, it is one heck of a good bang for the buck.
I got mine from the guys at Headroom. Great place to shop!

I hear a lot about the Super Lux Cans a lot of good while I'm at it 

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 13
I really like the Philips Cityscape Downtown in that price point.  It seals well, looks stylish, and sounds great to boot.

You can read more here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown

One caveat:
Some users find that they can be uncomfortable if worn with glasses that have thick temples.  I wear glasses and find them comfortable, but I feel that a warning is needed.

Best of luck and happy Holidays.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 13
+1 Superlux HD-668b

It was one of my first pairs of headphones and it was a huge step above everything I heard before. You can't go wrong at this price point. But be aware that they look cheap 
wink.gif

They are pretty comfortable but you could get a pair of AKG K240/270 velour ear pads to make them even better.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 13

If on ear was OK, the CAL! is a great buy these days (as the CAL! 2 has just been released).

You must have some giant flappers on your head because the CAL is over ear for me and a great buy at $60. 

Thanks for that and merry Christmas. 

However, the fact of the matter is "The headband pad is smallish..."  Link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks all! Loving those superlux. How open are they? My friend does a bit of recording (usually in his room but sometimes in a little ad-hoc laptop setup in a quieter space) so the more closed, the better. I know at $50 there's not gonna be any perfectly-isolating studio quality recording headphones but the more on the closed side, the better.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 13
How bout the XPT100 or the Jaycar Pro Monitors? Both are FA-003 & HM5 clones that give a neutral sound signature and vey comfortable from various reviews? The XPT100 are $80 and include extras,while the Jaycar are $50 and $20 shipping to the USA minus the extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back