Looking for a new TOTL headphone
Dec 25, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 19
Atrium open all the way unless you want every last ounce of detail

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 19
I am looking for a sound signature that is alike to the Audeze LCD 4 that has a warmer and more full bodied sound.

With the exception of ZMF headphones, what other headphones should I look into?

Apparently the HEDD 2 is really good?
John Massaria will tune the headphones he makes to your liking.
https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/

The Hedd 2 is neutral and has exquisite microdynamics.

I want to say the RAAL CA1A are warm, but they require special amps.

In my experience the ZMFs are neutral warm, the soulful kind. Their Bokeh might be a good option. I tried the Atrium Closed and it sounds slightly more detailed and had somewhat tighter images than my LSA HP-2 JMs, though without their Speaker-like stage/imaging nor their ambiance. But you wouldn't be going wrong with the ZMFs.

I've never heard the Kennerton Heartland. It could be a good option, though at the price you might as well get a ZMF Caldera (prefer them over the Stax X9000)

Do not buy Hifimans if you expect warm.

What equipment do you currently have?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 19
The Modhouse Tungsten need serious power .

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 19
Although I did not like the original heddphone, I had the chance to spend time with the heddphone 2 at canjam socal and it was much improved in both sound and comfort.

That being said, for me, the caldera is a good amount better. I already had a caldera, and ended up purchasing an atrium closed at canjam. Even at a higher price point than the hedd2 I'm very happy with my decision. It's very cliche, but 'sound vs music' is how I compare the hedd2 vs the caldera or AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back