Looking for a new speaker
Sep 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phuctan139

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Like the title I am considering about a new speaker for my LAPTOP because after a long time listen to headphone(s) I want to relax with some fresh air for my ear and breathing :D . I just need a simple advice because I will put it in my bed room (just a small room) So I just read around and some body has told me that I need a sound card for my PC , but you know, my PC is in working room and I do not want to put "mini" speaker here (may be in the future I will think about "big" speaker here ) So my question is

1.if I need a speaker with my laptop do I need to buy a DAC to have a good sound quality ?
2.If I have DAC do I need a soundcard ( for future plan i will move speaker to PC) ?
3.I need a warm, clear because like to listen Ballads,POP and Instrumental and sometime Dance ( for some crazy mood) so I am considering about edifier hcs2330, edifier s330 and a DAC is e10 or e17

My budget is around ~200$

So thanks for your advice

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5
You do not have to have a sound card to have your laptop connected to speakers.
But an external DAC connected to the laptops USB or optical or coaxial output should improve audio quality.
Your laptop has USB, which should be easiest for connecting an external DAC.
The Fiio E10 has a headphone output and a line-output, you can use the E10's DAC feature and connect the E10 to the speakers, using the E10 line-out jack.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 5
You do not have to have a sound card to have your laptop connected to speakers.
But an external DAC connected to the laptops USB or optical or coaxial output should improve audio quality.
Your laptop has USB, which should be easiest for connecting an external DAC.
The Fiio E10 has a headphone output and a line-output, you can use the E10's DAC feature and connect the E10 to the speakers, using the E10 line-out jack.

+1

I would go with the E10 given your budget and put my money towards the speakers instead of getting the E17.

Also, the Edifier S330D model has a built in DAC. I have no idea how good it is or if that's more cost effective for you, but might be worth researching.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 5
+1

I would go with the E10 given your budget and put my money towards the speakers instead of getting the E17.

Also, the Edifier S330D model has a built in DAC. I have no idea how good it is or if that's more cost effective for you, but might be worth researching.

Thanks all for your replies, but do you think edifier hcs2330 is best choice for me? I just want to listen to "slow" music like balads pop and instrumental

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks all for your replies, but do you think edifier hcs2330 is best choice for me? I just want to listen to "slow" music like balads pop and instrumental

I've never heard the Edifiers. I don't know. I think for under $200, the better deal is to put together a passive speaker setup. Have you seen this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/.

There are better speakers than the Dayton which you could buy with your budget, such as the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. The Edifiers might have better very low end bass impact because of their sub, but the Pioneers should be an overall better speaker for everything that you listen to. And you can always add a home audio sub later (something like the Dayton SUB1000) for some serious bass output. Here is some discussion of the Dayton/Lepai setup: http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back