Looking for a new set of headphone
Jan 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bahamut

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new set of headphones after my current set broke in several spots. (note to self: don't give kid nice headphones for long car rides)

But as far as what I am looking for:
1) Full size closed headphones (can be open if the sound leakage is very minimal at moderate volumes, ie can listen to in smaller areas such as the office or flying)
2) Decent Sound quality - Listening styles - Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Instrumentals, Philharmonic Orchestra's, etc, also heavy into gaming on my PC and PS3 (tv hookups 
frown.gif
 )
3) Budget priced - Less than $100 USD, prefereably under $50-75
4) Mic's are optional, although I do attend LAN parties, I could always add a modmic or something similar.
5) Something that doesn't require an amp to power.
6) Detachable cord would be a bonus but not required.

as far as the brands go, I am fairly open. I have hear some good things about the Sennheiser HD 448 but I wonder what other options people may have within my restrictions.

Edit: Forgot 1 other important detail - must be comfortable and wearable for several hours at a time with issue.

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 16

Shure SRH440, which I believe have a detachable cable.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) really good prices at Amazon and Creative.
KRK KNS 6400, good reviews.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 16
Shure SRH840, best price at buy-dot-com, $140
KRK KNS 8400, $120

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 16
Try the AKG k271mkii, ($120 from amazon), or the Panasonic HTF-600 ($50ish), also Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, but that may be a bit expensive, leanin towards $200 

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions, I have started looking at the Beyer, Ultrasone, KRK, Audio Technica, and Shure's still deciding though. I tend to worry more about headphone comfort and quality with gaming (PC and PS3) over music quality. So I don't know if that would change any of your recommendations at all or still stand.

If an amp would help improve things at all what do you recommend. Prefereably something not to expensive and what is the recommended hookup for them. I admit I have never used one. Currently the pc is running an older Creative Labs X-Fi that I picked up years ago.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 16
Maybe the SRH440 (70$) (a very good headphone for the price from the reviews).

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 16
I would still stand with what i said; most cans on headfi will be good enough for gaming, but something with bigger soundstage would help on that front (akg, shure). 
well i have the fiio e11, which is smaller than an ipod classic. It is cheap, but powerful for that spectrum. Will probably power most low-mid end cans decently (but i dont have much comparison on amps to be fair :) ) Amps really help the headphones reach their full potential, particularly ones that are hard to drive like the dt770s.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 16
Well after doing some research and the like, I have narrowed it down to a semi short list. I will most likely order 1 from this list (In no particular order).

• Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  • Shure SRH440
  • Shure SRH840
  • KRK KNS 6400
  • KRK KNS 8400
  • AKG K271MKII
  • SteelSeries Siberia V2

1 option has a Mic and that is ok with me, adding a mic later is always an option same with a headphone amp if needed. These range in price from $82 for the KNS6400 up to $150ish for the M50's and the SRH840. Would like to stay somewhere in that list as those seem to be a lot of the highly recommended closed sets.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't know all, but i think the SRH840 is the best in your list for your taste.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 16
It's stretching your price range by a lot, but the Sennheiser PC350/PC360 is supposed to be pretty good for gaming. However, you may not want to be seen in public listening to headphones with a giant stylized mike coming off of them.

Sincerely,

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Yea the Sennheiser 350/360 are a bit out of my price range. Plus the 360 is an open air headphone which I can't really use.

I kind of like the SteelSeries Siberia's as they are the next revision of my prior set which are super comfortable. Only difference is now it has the mic built in instead of a separate clip and the upgraded the 40mm drivers to 50mm.

I also like the akg's as they come with 2 separate pad types to try and 2 cords so I can keep them hooked to different sources with hidden connections and just attach the cable as needed. I also noticed that they have a cutoff switch that will turn off the sound when you remove them from your head. Has anyone experienced issues with this and does it do it if you just slide off one ear to hear something?

The Shure's look nice but I am not sure if I like the expose cable that runs from the headset up to the bands although like the  krk's they to have detachable cables.

just can't decide on a pair.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 16
One thing I forgot to mention, I do wear glasses (most of the time). I want something that would still be conform and seal well even while wearing my glasses for long periods and still be comfortable.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 16
Well i can only speak for the AKGs, but i also have glasses and find the comfort to be no problem for several hours.
They may lack the punch for heavy metal, however they are neutral so are good across a spectrum. Slightly bass light, but not too much to be annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back