Looking for a new reliable set of headphones
Sep 24, 2021 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sllow

Head-Fier
My experience was Denon D2000/Audio-Technica-WS77/Shure SE 215.
And all of them eventually broke (except 215s).
D2000 had a typical problem where one cup fell off due to faulty screw, and nobody in my town wants to fix it.
WS77 had a problem with the cable which im too lazy to fix. After that i decided to buy only cans with detachable cables.
So after that i decided to buy a cheap and reliable SE215, but turns out im not a fan of the sound.
So im looking for something else.
Out of these three i vastly prefer the sound of the D2000's and their comfiness, but they are discontinued and their design proved to be unreliable.

Currently im looking for a pair of reliable headphones, which would last longer than those three did.
My current short list is either HD650's or ATH-M50x.
HD650's are comfy and reliable, but i never had an open-back headphone before so im hesitant about buying one. I like to crank volume to the max, dont want to bother my neighbors.
ATH-M50x's seem to be the choice for the EDM which i like, and they are closed-back so no sound leakage, but they dont seem as comfy as HD650s.

So which one would suit my needs better? Or you can suggest something else? I didnt really check the news about new cans releases for like 10 years so maybe there is something better out there?

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Im amused that you list the HD650 as comfy, as it has an unbearable clamp, to the point where there are multiple articles and videos on how to make it less uncomfortable.

You might want to look into the V-Moda M100, add in the XL pads for more comfort. Theyre great for EDM, easy to drive, closed back and built like a tank.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Sivga's recent closed back release might be up your alley, Sivga SV021 Robin. Light clamp force, thick pads, lightweight, removable cables, V-shaped sound good for EDM.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 7
The D2000 is (in my opinion) superior to basically everything else you're considering, so getting them fixed probably makes more sense than paying more than the repair will cost to replace them. Maybe put up a want ad in classifieds.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Im amused that you list the HD650 as comfy, as it has an unbearable clamp, to the point where there are multiple articles and videos on how to make it less uncomfortable.

You might want to look into the V-Moda M100, add in the XL pads for more comfort. Theyre great for EDM, easy to drive, closed back and built like a tank.
Depends only on the headsize.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Depends only on the headsize.
When I wear adjustable ball caps, I have to go to the smallest size, and then one more below that, so my head is smaller than the average Joe, and the HD6xx gave me quite the vice grip on my skull. I ended up stretching them out and after that they were fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back