looking for a new portable mp3 player
Sep 10, 2016 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jeffgorow

New Head-Fier
I have emassed a large audio collection on microsd cards. up until now, I have used a sandisk clip zip to play them. my main gripe with the sandisk is the lack of bluetooth support, I would love to be able to stream my msic onto a bluetooth speaker. so my main criteria are microsd, bluetooth, and a easy to read display with a well layed out user interface. my budget is under $100.pretty much everything I have found on either amazon or ebay has been either way out of my budget or complete junk. am I asking too much?

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Well I'd recommend Philips Azure but it doesn't have the card slot you're asking for, the cheapest device that has those options is Sony A15 which is way over your budget. Maybe some more experienced posters could help you.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 7
There are a few new players with Bluetooth coming in Sep/Oct.

Shanling M1 (end-Sep)
Hidizs AP60 (15 Sep)
Fiio X1 2nd Gen (Oct)

AP60 will be priced at $89, pricing for the other 2 are unconfirmed but I suspect they will be in the sub $100 price range.

An alternative would be to get a cheap (new/used) Android smartphone with bluetooth.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 7
I think that what you want specifically might be a little hard to find for that price point, at least with this current gen of portable music players. You're asking for quite a bit for below $100. Cheap options are out there, but I'd worry about build quality. Most are questionable Chinese knock offs, it seems, and the positive reviews they have in Amazon are due to getting the product for free.

Your best bet for quality and the features you want is investing in an older cheap Android phone or a prepaid burner Android phone you can pick up at Wal-Mart or something. You never have to buy minutes for it, and it'll basically function like an mp3 player with a microSD slot + Bluetooth. Plus you could still connect to the internet using a wireless network to download apps and stuff, or stream online radio at the gym or something if they have Wi-Fi.

Just my 2 cents. Probably your best bet for the features and price you want.

Or wait for the new players coming out later this year and hope one fits your needs.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I wanted to replace my Ipod Nano which was nearing the end of its life and could not hold my entire music library.  Being a person who loves good sound (played accordion as a kid, trumpet in HS band, and guitar at church now) I decided to try the FiiO X1.  Love the format, like that it takes 128gb microSD card which I've re-recorded my Itunes library into FLAC or AIFF onto and haven't even half filled it up.

I plug it into my Bose desktop computer speakers and the sound is so much better than what I get out of my HP desktop computer.  Now I'm looking to improve the rest of my den/music room speaker system by searching this board for education / insight.

I'd recommend the FiiO X1.  $99 off Amazon.  FWIW

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I think that what you want specifically might be a little hard to find for that price point, at least with this current gen of portable music players. You're asking for quite a bit for below $100. Cheap options are out there, but I'd worry about build quality. Most are questionable Chinese knock offs, it seems, and the positive reviews they have in Amazon are due to getting the product for free.

Your best bet for quality and the features you want is investing in an older cheap Android phone or a prepaid burner Android phone you can pick up at Wal-Mart or something. You never have to buy minutes for it, and it'll basically function like an mp3 player with a microSD slot + Bluetooth. Plus you could still connect to the internet using a wireless network to download apps and stuff, or stream online radio at the gym or something if they have Wi-Fi.

Just my 2 cents. Probably your best bet for the features and price you want.

Or wait for the new players coming out later this year and hope one fits your needs.

this is the best advice,
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back