Looking for a new player
Jun 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lawbadman

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I need some suggestions for buying a new player.
I am about to sell my Creative Zen 4Gb so I need a replacement.
The main features that I am looking for in a new player are custom EQ, radio, voice recording, a wide range of music and video file compatibility and of course excellent sound quality.

I have always liked the Samsung P2 mainly for its larger than normal EQ.
I have been reading around and a lot of guys seem to like the clix and the d2.
What do you guys suggest that I consider (no iPod)?

Thanks All

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 12
Cowon D2 is the winner (without thinking
biggrin.gif
) in your DAPs list!
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 12
My bro has the Clix2, I much prefer the Cowon D2's sound. Not only is the SQ more customizable, it can also be easily adjusted to accomodate an amp (aka tuning the headphone out to a near identical pseudo lineout), which will take the D2's SQ far beyond what you'd expect from a DAP.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bro has the Clix2, I much prefer the Cowon D2's sound. Not only is the SQ more customizable, it can also be easily adjusted to accomodate an amp (aka tuning the headphone out to a near identical pseudo lineout), which will take the D2's SQ far beyond what you'd expect from a DAP.

For me clix (EQ-flat without any sound enhancement of course, because clix sounded very bad with any sound effects) fot its smoothness and deeper bass ,better midrange (warm and detailed sound), i dont like d2 sound with flat EQ
frown.gif

look at this thread :
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/to...50/index2.html

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the replies guys.

I compared the specs/features for both players and the D2 has soooo much more great features that I really have to put it at the top of my list.

So just to be sure I am making the right decision how does the D2 compare to the Samsung P2 (I love the 11 band EQ)?

Thanks

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Honestly, the P2 isn't really competition, not even in terms of SQ. Samsung has quite a bit to do before catching up with Cowon and iRiver.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 12
I have, still have a D2 and I think the SQ is great...when tweaked. Flat eq just didn't sound right to my ears. It sounded too "airy" I guess you can say. After it's tweaked though and you bring that "airy" type sound down and boost up the bass it sounds great. I prefer my A818 by a long shot though
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by souledout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have, still have a D2 and I think the SQ is great...when tweaked. Flat eq just didn't sound right to my ears. It sounded too "airy" I guess you can say. After it's tweaked though and you bring that "airy" type sound down and boost up the bass it sounds great. I prefer my A818 by a long shot though
biggrin.gif

Yea true, D2 has very good sound enhacement propably the best effects that i have ever heard, clix effects sound very unnaturally and horrible so many people think that clix doesnt sound good, that is true , but when you turn off all efects and set eq to normal you will gape, so i prefer clix and sony A8.. sound which is more natural
smily_headphones1.gif
warm and smooth

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony A8.. sound which is more natural
smily_headphones1.gif
warm and smooth

Exactly how I feel about the sound. All I have on mine is ClearBass set to +1 and that is it. On my D2, the EQ is set and some of the JetEffects are set and still doesn't compare to the Sony IMO.

D2 with flat EQ and no JetEffects is just too "airy" and has no warmth. IMO of course..

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I checked out the Sony but it does not have a lot of extra features. What I like about the D2 is its several features. I dont use my mp3 players for critical listening only when traveling so sq is not huge factor, but the extra features are.

So D2 it is!!!
biggrin.gif

One more question, what in ear headphones go well with it? I'm thinking super.fi 3. I dont want to spend any more than $100 right now, maybe later.

Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back