Looking for a new player
Sep 25, 2007 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ibo

New Head-Fier
Can someone be so kind and advise me, cause I lost the touch with the new technology releases and the number of new devices on the market is overwhelming, unfortunately, is hard to discern the truth from comercial doublespeak.

I am looking for a new player, 8-16GB or flash or 30GB+ for the hdd variety. The sound quality, does not bother me to much cause I will use it mostly for audiobooks I am ripping from CD's or downloading from the internet in low bitrate.
Something important for me: I like to have is a simple drag and drop for files, like the ability to use the explorer or similar. I would like to stay away from 'automatic manager-convertor' software like i-tune. I like to handle the files by myself. I understood that the new 6gen iPods do not allow external managers like Red Chair Software, no?
Also a 10 hours minimum batery life would be nice, and a stable device, doing what is suposed to do without quircks and delays would be nice.
I forgot, I like to be able to buy is in the store, not online.

Thank you

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 20
Cowon D2 (with a flash card) or iAudio 7 both have 16GB or more of flash memory, sound good, near 60 hours of battery life, and is drag and drop.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 20
Also consider the creative zen, just got hold of mine, and it does sound nice. Storag is unlimited as you can use external SD cards. Not that expensive, and is something different than the ipods.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What store sell this Cowon D2 and what is the price?

Where do you live?

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 20
@rxc: I live in Illinois.

Interesting device dhe conwon, I was reading the specs.

@SpaceMonkey: what version of creative zen you have? Does it do drag an drop?

Another thing I forgot to mention, can those devices sort the files from titles and id tags?
I tried an 1gb sansa 140series, and it was messing the order of tracks, making impossible to use it for my audiobooks

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 20
filipelli, have you tried putting any ACC files, like M4A, on your Zen? The AAC files I have don't have any tags when I view their properties (although there's song information such as song name, artist name, etc. when viewed in iTunes) and I was wondering if the Zen would still be able to display this information.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
filipelli, have you tried putting any ACC files, like M4A, on your Zen? The AAC files I have don't have any tags when I view their properties (although there's song information such as song name, artist name, etc. when viewed in iTunes) and I was wondering if the Zen would still be able to display this information.

Aren't AAC and M4A files Apple specific files? I think you would have to convert them to either FLAC or some other audio codec inorder for the Zen to recognize it.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaLLeNAn9eL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't AAC and M4A files Apple specific files?

No.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

Oh okay. I misread. It's just a format supported by Apple products.
blink.gif

Thanks for catching that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 20
The new iPods can sync with non-iTunes software such as AmaroK and Winamp, thanks to some brilliant and really fast reverse engineering by open source developers. So you're not strictly locked into iTunes, just that Windows Explorer drag-and-drop isn't supported. On another hand, iPod SQ isn't very highly regarded especially on this forum - I don't have one so I can't say myself.

I shall instead support those pushing the Zen... I use a Zen Micro and a Zen Stone. Both have been serving me extremely well and IMHO sound pretty good, even though I'm only using cheapo CX300s :p I like the Micro enough to even have repaired it when the headphone jack started giving problems, rather than just replacing it with something bigger/better....

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just look into the Cowon D2
biggrin.gif

2nded, or I7. I frikkin love my I7. One mp3 player I can't recommend (other than any ipod
evil_smiley.gif
) is the Creative Zen V plus, OLED screen issues, several other people on anythingbutipod forums are reporting the same problems (basically screen fades then dies). Also, the SQ on the Zen V was subpar imo.

I absolutely love drag and drop UMS transfer, I can use my I7 as a flash drive. It ALSO supports MTP if you want to go the sync route, and it can do either ID3 or file browsing.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaLLeNAn9eL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't AAC and M4A files Apple specific files? I think you would have to convert them to either FLAC or some other audio codec inorder for the Zen to recognize it.

I know the Creative Zen supports M4A files, but since mine have no tag information in their properties (although their song name, artist name, album name, etc. does appear when viewed in iTunes) I don't know if the Creative Zen will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back