Looking for a new pair of portable on-ear headphones
Dec 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buemba

New Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for a new pair of on-ear portable headphones to be used straight out an iPhone. After some reading I narrowed my list of options to the following models (Though I'm not tied to it, so if you have other recommendations I'm all ears):

KEF M500
Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Onkyo 
ES-CTI300
Beyerdynamic T51p
Koss 
SP330

While sound quality is obvious my #1 concern, I'd prefer a pair that also has user-replaceable parts (Earpads and cable at the bare minimum) and is comfortable enough to be used for 2+ hours every day.

I used to own the Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium edition but recently sold it, so its replacement should either match its SQ or exceeds it.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 5
What flavor of sound do you prefer? As flat & neutral as possible, or with emphasis on a particular area of the sound? What did you particularly like about the HD25 Al?

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 5
What flavor of sound do you prefer? As flat & neutral as possible, or with emphasis on a particular area of the sound? What did you particularly like about the HD25 Al?

Unfortunately I'm not fluent enough in audiophile lingo to tell you whether I prefer a flat or colored sound. All I know is that of all the phones I've ever owned (Audio-Technica ATH700, Sennheiser HD650, HD25 Aluminium, Beyerdynamic T90 and a bunch of earbuds ranging from $10 to $150) my favorite is the HD650 by a landslide. I want bass to be punchy but not so overpowering it drowns everything else, sibilance should not be headache inducing and soundstage should be wide, I guess.

I'm going to use it to listen to music (Rock, heavy metal, pop and classical) and podcasts and watch movies, not do audio editing, so I don't need a neutral sound, but I'm not against it either...

Sorry I can't give a more accurate answer.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, I have to be honest, I haven't found too many on-ear headphones that I like. For the money, I've found that I like IEMs better - both the sound and the comfort.

Have you read this thread? If you have, then you know as much as I do: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-113-portable-headphones-reviewed-alpha-design-labs-adl-h118-added-07-15-14

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, I have to be honest, I haven't found too many on-ear headphones that I like. For the money, I've found that I like IEMs better - both the sound and the comfort.

Have you read this thread? If you have, then you know as much as I do: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-113-portable-headphones-reviewed-alpha-design-labs-adl-h118-added-07-15-14

I'm gonna take a look at that thread, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back