Looking for a new pair of portable headphones/IEMs
Oct 24, 2015 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

So Far

Head-Fier
Hey boys, so after owning the Sennheiser Momentum for roughly 2 years I'm looking to upgrade them.
My budget is around  200-250$, and I don't mind buying a refrubished or pre-owned pair.
While I did like the Momentums, I found their treble lacking some sparkle (an overall feeling of "laid back") and the bass was kinda one noted. And ofcourse, ther was the known small earcups issue.

Listening mainly to psychedelic rock, prog (both rock and metal), krautrock,Avant-Garde, art rock, jazz fusion and some folk rock.
Source is my Oneplus One playing FLAC. I should also mention that I'm looking for a can that looks somewhat good,  isolation is important I can manage even with some less isolating pairs. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 8
  Check out:

Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 and DT990
Nad Viso HP50

Umm considering the fact I'm going to feed the headphones using my OPO I don't think DT series will be any good (also not really portable).
NAD would've been a very good option. I tested them around 6 months ago at a local store and while the sound is astonishing for the price they're proabably the ugliest headphones on the planet. Thank you nevertheless

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 8
I understand what you are saying. Even I am someone who takes looks into consideration.

Did you look at Audio Technica MSR7? It definitely has the treble that sparkles. It has a bright signature with clear mids and treble but is going to lack a bit in bass quantity and extension. It definitely offers the texture in the bass that you are asking for, but if you liked the bass quantity in the Momentum and you want at least that much amount of bass, MSR7 won't cut for you.

One other option that I could think of is Shure SRH940.

Something I have realized is; most of the portable, over-ear, closed back, easy to drive headphones have either a V-Shaped or a warm sound that really don't have that sparkle in the treble, that makes them a fun and pleasing headphone and is appealing to the bigger crowd who want to just plug it directly into their smartphones. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 8
  I understand what you are saying. Even I am someone who takes looks into consideration.

Did you look at Audio Technica MSR7? It definitely has the treble that sparkles. It has a bright signature with clear mids and treble but is going to lack a bit in bass quantity and extension. It definitely offers the texture in the bass that you are asking for, but if you liked the bass quantity in the Momentum and you want at least that much amount of bass, MSR7 won't cut for you.

One other option that I could think of is Shure SRH940.

Something I have realized is; most of the portable, over-ear, closed back, easy to drive headphones have either a V-Shaped or a warm sound that really don't have that sparkle in the treble, that makes them a fun and pleasing headphone and is appealing to the bigger crowd who want to just plug it directly into their smartphones. 

So I looked into the MSR7 and they actually look a-lot like what I was looking for. So ATM they're my first option, thanks for that call.
Also mentioning that I'm also open for an IEM option so if you know any IEM that might fit me, go ahead.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 8
  So I looked into the MSR7 and they actually look a-lot like what I was looking for. So ATM they're my first option, thanks for that call.
Also mentioning that I'm also open for an IEM option so if you know any IEM that might fit me, go ahead.

Fidue A83

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 8
If you like MSR7, I am sure Fidue A83 and Altone T-Peos would interest you as well. Here are some other options too: Dunu DN2000, Dunu DN1000, Trinity Delta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back