Looking for a new pair of headphones for my dads birthday, Price: 150-300$
Jul 1, 2015 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JohnHA

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi!

It will soon be my dads birthday, and his old "Pioneer Monitor 10" headphones is dead, beyond repair hehe.
So he will need a new and improved pair of headphones so he doesn't drive my mom crazy, guess i'm doing this for both of them after all and not just my dad! :D
And what better place to search for expert advice than Head-Fi!

He have a really broad taste of music, one thing i think he relishes above the rest of the genres out there is older rock, like pink floyd and such.
Either he plays his tracks through a JVC RX6000R, a technics su-v500 or simply his laptop/tablet depending on what he is doing..

I've been looking a little on the Denon AH-MM400 and the Sennheiser HD598, but i honestly have no idea what i should look for.

Around 150-300$, is that unrealistic?

Hope you can come up with some ideas to what i should look for!

Thanks in advance

Best regards
John

Denmark

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Consider the Fidelio X2.  Would make a lovely gift, I think.  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

They are open back design.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 11
If rock music is his favorite, consider some Grados. Great for bringing out the detail in rock and an easy headphone to drive with any portable device.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 11
Ohh, en dansker :D

Should it be open or closed?

Ja :D

Actually not sure, i prefer open myself since i have mine on for like 12 hours a day, not sure how much of a difference it has when it comes to sound, im sure he would like the open/Airflow/comfort but that depends how much og a difference there is on the sound side of things.

Thanks for the reply so far everyone!

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Jul 1, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 11
I bought the Fidelio x2 as a gift from my husband, the convo went :"you have bought me a pair of Fidelio x2 for my birthday. I have paid for them on your credit card"

He has good taste and I was delighted with his choice of thoughtfull gift.

Now this is the proper way to do it.    
wink_face.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 11
I bought the Fidelio x2 as a gift from my husband, the convo went :"you have bought me a pair of Fidelio x2 for my birthday. I have paid for them on your credit card"

He has good taste and I was delighted with his choice of thoughtfull gift.

That's brilliant! :D

Looks like i will be going with the Fidelio x2 for his birthday aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back