Looking for a new pair of headphones.. Can't decide.
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Katharn

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I signed up for head-fi yesterday but didn't get the authorization all done until just today, so now I'm making a topic. Before we get started I should state my maximum budget is about $100.

I've been wanting some over-the-head headphones, or "cans" as I see a lot of people calling them, but I also want them to be isolating, so they need to be closed, and I like how the headphones with the cord being on one side are. I've looked around for a while trying to see what would be the best ones to get and I stumbled upon this forum and have been looking around it for quite a while.

I have found quite a few choices and am unable to decide what I want. (Take note I will be using these with just a portable music player (my phone, which doesn't have an equalizer, so take note of that) and my computer (which only has an integrated sound card in the motherboard, but will probably upgrade to a real sound card eventually, though not sometime soon) So I will not have an amplifier or anything like that. I've put together a little list and would like opinions on which you all think would be the best headphone to get.

The cheapest headphone that is on my list is the Sennheiser HD 205 (Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 205 Studio Monitor DJ Headphones w/ Swivel Ear Cup: Electronics)
It seems to have pretty good-ish reviews and sound quality I hear (for the price, anyways) but lots of people say it's too tight so just a little bit worried about that. My brother says I have a small head though and shouldn't worry about it though. Other thing I don't really like about it is that the cord is 10 feet long, and isn't coiled or anything. But I think that I should probably spend more to get a better pair but since I AM only using a portable player I don't know if it would be worth getting better ones, so I'm asking the experts at head-fi.
wink.gif

For a more expensive pair of headphones I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 280's, (Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphones: Electronics)
I've heard pretty good reviews about it but it DOES seem to be kind of a hit-or-miss, as some people have stated, some people have loved it, some have hated it. They say it has a pretty flat response, and little bass and I'm just not sure if that's really what I want. I mean, I'm not some bass-head and I just want accurate sound with nice highs/mids/lows/whatever.

Another pair I was looking at was the Shure SRH 440's, (Amazon.com: Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones (Black): Electronics) which I heard about on this forum, but I've heard some people say that the bass wasn't quite good enough, it sounded fake, etc.. but others have said that the bass is absolutely perfect. I also heard that on these drums don't sound quite right? That was in a topic here but only in a few posts so not so sure about that.. But other than that these SEEM to be great.

I also was looking at the Sony MDR7506's (Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Electronics)
But people have said they were exactly the same as the Sony V6's (But with a silver/nickel/whatever color it is jack) and the look of course. But I'm thinking that the Shure's SRH 440's are already kind of like the sony, but from what I've heard perform better than the Sony's, so I don't think that these are really worth getting.

My brother said that since I can't decide I should just get a Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset, (Newegg.com - Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset) Which he has, and can also be used for gaming if I so pleased. I tried them out and they were comfortable but the pads are velevet so they didn't block much noise out. They DID sound a lot better than the current headphones I am using right now, which are some Skullcandy's, (Amazon.com: Skullcandy Icon Clip Headphones - Black: Electronics)
And from what I've seen you all seem to hate Skullcandy's, since they're mostly just for looks. But I had originally bought them because I needed some cheap and better sounding headphones than what I currently had (Which were just some earphones that had come with my phone, which are horrible.)

Anyways getting off topic, the point was they sounded better but since all I was using were some Skullcandy's and since they are just some gaming headsets I do not think that they would really come close to what I can find in headphones actually made for music, eh? Plus they aren't even very isolating at all, so I think that it's a no.

Anyways that seems to be my choices as of right now. What I want is the one that would be best. For the highs, the lows, the mids, the bass,(I do not want booming base, like I said earlier, not a bass-head. I just want accurate and detailed bass.) For everything, just the best overall sounding headphones for my budget.
o2smile.gif

Oh and I listen to a pretty big variety of music, most of the bands can be labeled alternative rock, but I have some pop punk, some power metal, and I also listen to some piano, and video game soundtracks sometime (Well just one, but it's like 140-ish songs) which is just music. So like I said, big variety, all over the place.

And sorry for the huge text and if I'm making this hard, but I know you all can do it.
popcorn.gif

So.. Good luck to you, head-fiers!
atsmile.gif

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for all those who answer.
biggrin.gif

And I forgot to say that, of course, I don't want anything drowning out the vocals in the songs or something, because that would suck.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 29
Hm, really? $130? I'll have to think about that, but.. I heard that the SRH-840 requires an amp to really be better than the 440's, and in certain cases some have said that their portable player couldn't power the 840 making it sound worse than the 440.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 29
The Creative Aurvana Live is almost identical to the D1001 soundwise and comfort wise from what I've read, and the Denons are very well regarded. I still don't know why more people don't buy the cheaper CAL!; I suppose it's because of brand name and because the Denons look a bit more classy(not that the CAL look bad at all). They're available for 55 here: Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better headphone for under 100. You might find sidegrades, but clear-cut upgrades are less likely.

I haven't heard those, but my extensive research leads me to that view. I personally would recommend the RX700 or PX200-II(NOT the original) because I have them both, and was very happy with them after tons of research. Both are great for their prices.

The Sennheiser PX200-II actually makes an impressive gaming headphone that is also portable and surprisingly isolating(neither the RX700 nor CAL!/D1001 isolate very well. They don't leak out noise much though). They are very neutral sounding, no region is over-emphasized, and their soundstage is seriously impressive for such a small, closed headphone. Not necesarily because they have the widest soundstage, but because they give you a very open-sound, 3D and natural sounding soundstage. Positioning, I find is excellent, which is why I enjoy them for gaming. They aren't over/around the ear, but rather on ear. Despite you specificying over ear, these would be a top recommendation, especially as it seems you might be doing some gaming(you didn't say it, but I got the impression). The portability(I mean gosh darn, they fit in my pockect!), volume control, and one sided cable are all huge pluses for me. They are also built like a tank. They are very comfortable to me, especially after they adjusted to the shape of my head after a couple of weeks. They leak out nothing.

The RX700 was my first "Hi-Fi" headphone purchase and hold a special place in my heart. They sound better than the PX200-II in many ways, but don't have quite the impressive soundstage(similar width, but sounds more vreverby and boxed in... perhaps if I do the dampening mod), and are slightly on the warmer side of neutral. Bass is very present(not overwhelming at all though), and the highs extend nicely without being at sibilant. Though the plastic creaks somewhat, they are built very nicely. Their choise of plastic is way better than most anything senn has under 200 that I've seen. They leak out a bit, but not annoyingly so at moderate volumes. Certainly not like an open headphone. You really can't go wrong with thes at 35 shipped last time I checked. Felt modding them brings out a lot of detail too

My personal recommendation? Get the CAL and RX700 for 90 dollars. 2 amazing values for the price of what you were looking to be your max.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 29
Wow, thanks for that big and insightful post, Napilopez. Only real problem is it just makes all this harder! Haha, I will have to think about what you said, it sounds like it's a good idea.

Just wish I could go somewhere to try them all out, you know? =( Ah, the frustrations of shopping online, grr.

Seems like nobody here really has the CAL's though, so I can't really get a head-fi review on 'em, so dunno about those.

Oh, and do you think the RX-700's are better than the Sennheiser 205's? You said the plastic was better but didn't comment on the sound compared to any Senns, haha.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 29
From my experience in the past with srh440s, I found their sound to be great (especially considering the price tag), but the only setback was they were kind of clampy on my head. So the comfort factor wasn't present (for me personally).

My recommendation would be to research the Sennheiser HD 555's, I have found 'em on Amazon.com for as low as $84 NEW. You get WAYYY more than what you pay for. But they are an open design. So it might not suit your needs.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 29
i'd definitely suggest checking out the fs/ft forum here. most of the HP's sold here are in great condition and a great deal. especially for a first time buyer not quite sure about what you're looking for, it's great to check out and try out some phones at a discount and if you don't like it just sell/trade for something else. actually check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...phones-474008/

he looks like he's selling a bunch of closed phones and some that are on your list and some that are not. i think you might be able to find what you're looking for among all those phones. good luck!

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katharn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks for that big and insightful post, Napilopez. Only real problem is it just makes all this harder! Haha, I will have to think about what you said, it sounds like it's a good idea.

Just wish I could go somewhere to try them all out, you know? =( Ah, the frustrations of shopping online, grr.

Seems like nobody here really has the CAL's though, so I can't really get a head-fi review on 'em, so dunno about those.

Oh, and do you think the RX-700's are better than the Sennheiser 205's? You said the plastic was better but didn't comment on the sound compared to any Senns, haha.

People seem to shy away from the CALs because of their name. A shame really, if the accounts of them being almost the same as the D1001 are true. Heck, I've heard people saying they prefer the CAL to the D1001.

I did a lot of searching for them before, so let me help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...7-09-a-433318/ (scroll down a bunch, they're one of the top 2 rated HPs there for sound quality) Though your ears are always the ultimate judge, I trust Jokers impressions quite a lot, they have yet to steer me wrong.

Comparisons between the cal and d1001: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...risons-471453/

If I find any others I'll let you know.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People seem to shy away from the CALs because of their name. A shame really, if the accounts of them being almost the same as the D1001 are true. Heck, I've heard people saying they prefer the CAL to the D1001.

I did a lot of searching for them before, so let me help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...7-09-a-433318/ (scroll down a bunch, they're one of the top 2 rated HPs there for sound quality) Though your ears are always the ultimate judge, I trust Jokers impressions quite a lot, they have yet to steer me wrong.

Comparisons between the cal and d1001: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...risons-471453/

If I find any others I'll let you know.

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to look at them and see what I think 'bout 'em.

How is it having two headphones, though? Like you mentioned earlier and said to get the CAL and the RX700. I mean, I think it'd be kind of annoying carrying around two sets of headphones, since they'd both be good for certain songs I'd reckon. I see that you have the RX700 at your dorm so I guess I could just have them for certain things and have the CAL's (or whatever seems more portable-friendly) to carry around and stuff.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 29
lol the CAL would definitely be more portable friendly. Though I'm insane and walked aorund the streets of NY with the head-width-doubling RX700(I suspect should you get them they'll be a good deal bigger than you anticipated), having a portable is definitely more comfortable. The RX700 are very efficient, meaning they'll have good volume and reveal most of their sound out of a low powered source like most portable players, so they can technically be used as a portable, but they're huge and the cable is an inconvenience on the go, though a boon at home.

Managing having more than one headphone depends on your own behavior. At first it was definitely a somewhat odd experience. What headphones do I want to use for this song, which should I take with me, etc etc etc. But after a while I got used to it and am kind of glad that I have more than one, especially because they are all different and shine in their own ways; it always keeps things fresh. I am, however heavily considering and likely selling my RX700 and PX200-II in order to justify my purchase of the Panasonic HJE900 IEMs, which I prefer to both and simply are getting most of my listening time even in my Dorm. But I do love going back to my PXs for that laid back sound with an impressive soundstage, or my RX700s for what I consider to be a great fun balance.

I'm not sure how it would work out with the CAL, as I haven't actually heard those. FWIR(From what I've read) though, they are like a more detailed RX700 with a bit more emphasis on the high end and slightly recessed mids, whereas the RX700 simply rolls off at the top(while still maintaining a lot of detail, I find. Just not in your face). There have been at least a couple of people though that think the RX700 are better than the D1001s, though. I do like the RX700s at home because the uber long cable basically extends through almost all of my small single dorm lol. At worst(or best? lol) you can sell one of them. Or you could just not buy one or the other at all. The CAL work great as home cans too as they seem to scale nicely(do well with better sources), and they bring an extension cable.

Certainly take into account the other headphone suggestions though. I don't have nearly as much experience as some head-fiers though, but for the sake of your wallet I just really chimed in to suggest the CAL over the D1001.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol the CAL would definitely be more portable friendly. Though I'm insane and walked aorund the streets of NY with the head-width-doubling RX700(I suspect should you get them they'll be a good deal bigger than you anticipated), having a portable is definitely more comfortable. The RX700 are very efficient, meaning they'll have good volume and reveal most of their sound out of a low powered source like most portable players, so they can technically be used as a portable, but they're huge and the cable is an inconvenience on the go, though a boon at home.

Managing having more than one headphone depends on your own behavior. At first it was definitely a somewhat odd experience. What headphones do I want to use for this song, which should I take with me, etc etc etc. But after a while I got used to it and am kind of glad that I have more than one, especially because they are all different and shine in their own ways; it always keeps things fresh. I am, however heavily considering and likely selling my RX700 and PX200-II in order to justify my purchase of the Panasonic HJE900 IEMs, which I prefer to both and simply are getting most of my listening time even in my Dorm. But I do love going back to my PXs for that laid back sound with an impressive soundstage, or my RX700s for what I consider to be a great fun balance.

I'm not sure how it would work out with the CAL, as I haven't actually heard those. FWIR(From what I've read) though, they are like a more detailed RX700 with a bit more emphasis on the high end and slightly recessed mids, whereas the RX700 simply rolls off at the top(while still maintaining a lot of detail, I find. Just not in your face). There have been at least a couple of people though that think the RX700 are better than the D1001s, though. I do like the RX700s at home because the uber long cable basically extends through almost all of my small single dorm lol. At worst(or best? lol) you can sell one of them. Or you could just not buy one or the other at all. The CAL work great as home cans too as they seem to scale nicely(do well with better sources), and they bring an extension cable.

Certainly take into account the other headphone suggestions though. I don't have nearly as much experience as some head-fiers though, but for the sake of your wallet I just really chimed in to suggest the CAL over the D1001.

Well I've thought about it for a while and it seems my choices (most likely) are between the CAL or the Shure SRH 840's, (For $129.99, pretty much just deciding how much to spend, lol)

I did see though that the RX700's have a um.. more advanced version, I guess? I don't know, but there's an RX900, and it's about $21 more. They look pretty much the same and I was wondering if you knew anything really about it? Like how much better/if it is better than the RX700's?

I am pretty determined to just have one pair of headphones. (At least for now..) So yeah, just trying to find out what to invest in.
ph34r.gif

EDIT: Shouldn't have said my choices are between the CAL's and the Shure's, because still not sure about not getting the RX's, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back