Looking for a new music player (step up from the Sony Walkman Z-series)
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rt310

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
My current music player (Walkman) was working fine until suddenly my default music app stopped working. I then proceeded to download one of the recommended 'audiophile' players off the android store - however, I noticed some inherent problems. I first downloaded the neutron player, and it worked fine until I tried to play a FLAC file. It would play, but for some reason, there was a hissing noise. I checked the files on my computer and heard no hissing, so I uninstalled the app and downloaded poweramp. This worked fine until a few days ago, where in every song the music would freeze for a second, distorting it for a second or so. My player is in mint condition and I don't know what's causing these problems. I asked Sony about the problem and they were no help, so I've decided to look for a new DAP. Budget is $300, although it can change if needed.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Why not just get a Sansa Clip ?

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 13
How about the Cowon C2? My gripe about the Clip+ is not the sound quality but the battery life. If only they had made it slightly thicker with a 30 hour battery it would have been great.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 13
How about the Cowon C2? My gripe about the Clip+ is not the sound quality but the battery life. If only they had made it slightly thicker with a 30 hour battery it would have been great.

How does the c2 compare with the z2?

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 13
If every player you tried have problem the issue is obviously with your Z (hardware or software). I will try a factory reset first and if that doesn't work you might have to get a replacement.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 13
If every player you tried have problem the issue is obviously with your Z (hardware or software). I will try a factory reset first and if that doesn't work you might have to get a replacement.

I asked for a replacement and when I got it the problems were still present.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 13
Still, good player for the money Clip+, I think everyone should own one but not necessarily use it.lol. :wink: Sansa sure have caused a stir among audiophile community's, but as everything there are limitations. :smile: It's all about going to the next level. Taking it to the e.x.t.r.e.m.e :wink:

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Sounds like FM radio, thin, lack of soundstage, poor separation and detail. Poor imaging, weak bass detail, lack of refinement.

But with Rockbox, it provides gapless playback, you don't have to re-do all your tags and album art, playlist users make them work....so I'll take one in a heartbeat over one of the *cough*audiophile*cough* players. 
tongue.gif
 If I am at home looking for the next step up, then I have my iPod Video 5.5G 80GB (transportable, not portable IMO).

Just out of curiosity, how does your old Touch sound compared to your Clip+? I never heard a 2G Touch, only a 4G.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 13
But with Rockbox, it provides gapless playback, you don't have to re-do all your tags and album art, playlist users make them work....so I'll take one in a heartbeat over one of the *cough*audiophile*cough* players. 
tongue.gif

If I am at home looking for the next step up, then I have my iPod Video 5.5G 80GB (transportable, not portable IMO).

Just out of curiosity, how does your old Touch sound compared to your Clip+? I never heard a 2G Touch, only a 4G.
:wink:

Don't pull the rockbox card, I'm not tricked that easily. :smile: I can live without those silly features.

After a quick test I prefer the touch, it has thicker note presentation, better detailing and depth / larger headstage. The Clip+ is like peering through a keyhole at a naked woman, you can only see but the smallest amount of bum cheek, your side vision is cut short, while the touch is similar to opening the door just a crack. Something like an amped Colorfly CK4+ you have one foot at least half way in the door with full view on a bare set of breasts. However, neither Clip+ or touch have any essence of Coffee bean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back