Looking for a new mp3 player
Jul 23, 2005 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ender Wiggin

Head-Fier
I currently own a Zen Micro, and I just found a huge amount of new music I'm interested in, so the 5 GB hard drive is now too small for me. I'm probably going to sell it on ebay, so I'd like to keep the price of my new player around the same as whatever I'd get for the Micro, but I'm willing to shell out a little extra.

Battery life is a pretty big thing for me. I got sick of the Zen only lasting around 6-7 hours with no backlight and medium volume when it was advertised around 8-10. I don't need it to be crazy like the Zen Touch with 24 hours, but a happy medium would be good.

I plan on using ID3 tags for organization.

I don't need any really fancy features, although support for .wav and .ogg would be useful. Good sound quality and a smooth interface are both things I want though.

The easier it is to use as a removable device (portable storage) the better.

I think I covered all of the things I'd like in the player. I think 20 gigs of storage should be fine, it doesn't need to be more than that unless it only comes in larger models.

I was thinking that the rumored Rio Chroma would be perfect to wait for, because I love everything about the Karma but it's hard drive issues and I had some issues of my own with it's UI.

Anyway, what would you all recommend for me?

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't care about simple stats sheets. It's nice to hear personal opinions and experiences from people on boards like these. Also, companies stretch their stats a lot, so they're claims on battery life and sound quality are meaningless.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, I love my Ipod mini, and the 20 Gb one I used to have. I could easily recomend those, except there are some new Mp3 players out there.
First the Iaudio x5 is awsome from what I tried. It can do just about everything, including play videos. The sound is Incredible. The battery is about 14 hours. I am considering getting one....
The iRiver H10 is pretty good, and can't do as much as the x5, but has a 16 hour battery life (actually its about 13 or so with light). I think its also more intutive, and you can get to your songs easy.
And then theres the Sony Vaio Pocket, wich I think would be good for you. It looks good, sound ok, But has a 20 hour battery life, (and does really last around there).
I think if you dont care about anything fancy, go with the iPod or the Sony Vaio. Check them out on amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back