Looking for a new MP3 player/seeking repair for my current Ipod classic
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #31 of 33
LOL
Maybe 'good enough' for an 'MP3 player' but nah. Not saying more on the subject in this thread and enjoy your bliss.:beerchug:
On the one hand, I'm happy to leave this comment unanswered. On the other, I'm concerned about misinformation, particularly when talking to newbies.

Let's just say that all evidence I can find anywhere, including my own personal tests on $1,500 earbuds, all evidence that 320Kbps Mp3 is indistinguishable from uncompressed, with ONE exception: There are some very, very rare individuals who specifically train their ear to pick out a distinct, subtle artifacting in Mp3s that does not appear in every song.

This is not something 99% of people need to worry about from my understanding, so if that's what you're referring to, then I at least would say it doesn't justify scoffing at Mp3s when it's a 20-year-old format whose only problem seems to be a minor, imperceptible flaw that you have to actually train yourself to notice some of the time.

That said, I also don't want to present misinformation, so if you have evidence to the contrary, please present it so that me and the user above can be informed.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #32 of 33
My results have been extremely different and I have access to the best home kit and pro gear etc. I, and others, can hear differences up to 24/192 if the kit is good enough which is always an issue. Absolute statements require the absolute finest playback chains and controls to test. Admittedly the 24 bit part is the more significant part of that and 96k sometimes gets favored as warmer/less analytical than 192 which can more stress the chain.
To each his own, as always, since YMMV.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 33
Well, I've also got the Surfans F20 and one of the advantages it has is tactile controls. It's more the interface on the screen I was joking about. It has a tiny screen, and the layout is not the best conceived, with even small amounts of text needing to scroll for it to all be visible, and it scrolls slowly. The album art doesn't completely show, and is cut off on the lower third. Lyrics in tags don't show. I guess you have to put lyric files in the folder itself which is ridiculous!

But yeah, it plays music and has a lot of basic features that you'd want, like adjusting the balance, a 10-band equalizer, 100-step volume control, search by letter, and more. IF you're in it primarily for the music and can live with some clunky aspects and poorly implemented features, it's a beautiful player with quality sound!
Sorry for the zombie response... but I just bought one of these - how do you search by letter? I've tried all manner of button combinations (and pressing/holding etc) but still can't figure it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back