Looking for a new large capacity player
Jul 28, 2006 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

-pete-

New Head-Fier
So the battery on my ol' 4G 20Gb 'pod is slowly dieing, I'm down to a few hours playback and I'm looking for a replacement.

Since I now have more than 20Gb worth of music I would love to get something with between 30 and 40 gigs of space, add to that something that will play some (preferably open source) lossless format.

I was thinking of one of the new toshiba gigabeats since it'll play wma lossless, but I can't find anywhere that will ship to the UK, anyone know how long until i will be able to buy one from a UK stockist?

As for the other players I don't really like the cowon's since the operating system and controls, the same pretty much goes the same as the irivers

I like my ipod but I don't really like the video playback along with the fact that every man, woman, child and dog has one.

So what would you guys say? Any suggestions of a good quality, lossless playing, stylish, easy to use player?

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 5
My present ipod is rockboxed, will the video ipod version play anything special (ie DivX video) or would i need to recode m video again?

I do like the ipod its just a shame they're so common these days

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Rockbox does not support video, and will not support it unless some ambitious person decides to work it in, the official Rockbox project has no current plans to support it. That said, it's not difficult to reboot into the Apple OS for your videos. So yes, you'll need to use your old encoding methods for your videos.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 5
The Zen Vision:M supports a lot of video formats (DivX, XviD included) so no need for transcoding 90% of the time.

The sound quality out of the box is also fantastic not to mention the screen quality when watching videos.

Check out some reviews, it's a great player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back