Looking for a new iem, a "fun" iem..UM merlins, mentors or something else?
May 30, 2014 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

efib

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new iem since the one I currently own doesn't match my taste, maybe it's the combo x5+w40 but I'll think that I'll change iems first and then dap.

I now have w40 and though it's very detailed and it's doesn't have a fun sound.

I was looking at Um mentors but I don't know if these are "fun" enough, maybe merlins? I like bass but not a bass head, 

Any suggestions/help?

May 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 20
Fun is big word but generelly at your price range you seldom go wrong with any of the big sellers from the big dealers like jh pro 13 or 16, ultemate ears Pro 18, noble kaizer and sofort. You will be abel to see reviews of them all in the forum and make up your mind
Good luck:)

May 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 20
From the reviews I don't think that k10 has the sound signature I'm after :/
Jh I don't like their cs so I don't want to take a jh model.
I'm torned between mentors and merlins, I know that mentors have the best parts from merlins and miracle but if I don't like the miracle's parts? I read that merlins have a unique sound signature and miracles are neutral-ish and I definitely don't like that!

Thanks Preben :D

May 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 20
Hey there.

The mentor and merlin are 2 very different beats.
The merlin follows that typical v shaped fun sound with emphasized bass and treble sparkle. Think m100 Sig but much much more refined.
They are a stereotypical fun sounding iems.

The mentor isn't going to hit you in the face with this fun sound that will knock your socks off. They aren't neutral but they have less emphasis on any particular part of the spectrum than the Merlin's.

The mentors are thick sounding with lush mids and plenty of bass but also have amazing detail and treble extension.

I would rate the mentors well above the Merlin's, but if it is that v shaped sparkly bassy sound you want with mids that are either recessed or seem so due to the fr, then go the Merlin's :)

Didn't help? Sorry ha ha. If I could I would just own both.

May 31, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 20
Hey there.

The mentor and merlin are 2 very different beats.
The merlin follows that typical v shaped fun sound with emphasized bass and treble sparkle. Think m100 Sig but much much more refined.
They are a stereotypical fun sounding iems.

The mentor isn't going to hit you in the face with this fun sound that will knock your socks off. They aren't neutral but they have less emphasis on any particular part of the spectrum than the Merlin's.

The mentors are thick sounding with lush mids and plenty of bass but also have amazing detail and treble extension.

I would rate the mentors well above the Merlin's, but if it is that v shaped sparkly bassy sound you want with mids that are either recessed or seem so due to the fr, then go the Merlin's
smily_headphones1.gif

Didn't help? Sorry ha ha. If I could I would just own both.

You were very helpful Scott, I think that I'll try to own both of them and then decide which one I like more or I'll keep both.
Thanks! 

May 31, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 20
Heya there! I don't know if you're set on the Merlin/Mentors, but I could offer some insight if I knew your budget and just a hint of what music you listen to.

I've never heard the Merlin's, but heck if they knock your socks off, then gotta give em a try!

But if you weren't completely decided on those, I can offer my opinions or something if you'd like!

May 31, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 20
Hi, well my budget is the price of um mentors and being a student I can't easily exceed that and to be honest I don't feel very comfortable spending so much money without knowing if am I going to like ,.
Every suggestion is valuable! I really like RHCP :wink: , and overall I listen to rnb, pop,rock, not ac/dc etc stuff of jazz and classic and maybe some electro but not many tracks!

Tell what do you think :)

May 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 20
Haha! Gotta love the Chilis! :D

And I gave it some thought, and came to the conclusion that maybe springing for the mentors is a good idea. I mean if you have the cash for it, I couldn't see many better options. This may be your best choice! So for sound alone, I think you wouldn't be disappointed, but if you ever come to thoughts that you wanted to spend a lot less I can give you options! But the mentors will definitely give you some top shelf sound. I retract my previous post, if you have the money, I think you couldn't be disappointed! But again just tell me if you ever want some cheaper options if you decide to spend less!
=)

May 31, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 20
Chillis Rock :D 

I would like something cheaper of course , the price of merlins is actually very good but if mentors are amazing for my tastes I will take them. 
The thing is that I bought w40s not so long ago and these don't have the sound signature I'm after, I mean these are a huge improvement from my p5s and se215 , but not the sound I want :/

What are your suggestions? 

May 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 20
Well, I'd say for top quality sound, UM makes some killer universals, so the Mentors will probably be top quality.

For some Iems that are cheap that you can just try to find a sig: yamaha eph100(75-100), heir audio 3.ai (can be found for as low as $150!) for that price they're great! Shure 215(great bass, cheap, full mids, cooled treble but still detailed somewhat, $75-99)

If you don't mind a bit of ventilation: JVC ha-fx700, sennheiser ie8 are good!

Just general choices I found pretty fun: Ultimate ears 900, LTD ed. Shure 535 (these are a bit neutral but have great bass, further treble extension, and epic mids!), Audeo PFE 232, and the heir 4.ai(these are a bit more flat and not a usual fun sound, but the thick elegant sound these make sometimes makes me get that fun feeling in music!)

That's what I've got from experience and top of my head, if I have any more info or remember anymore, I'll be sure to tell ya!

Tell me whatcha think, bud!:)

May 31, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 20
Chillis Rock :D 

I would like something cheaper of course , the price of merlins is actually very good but if mentors are amazing for my tastes I will take them. 
The thing is that I bought w40s not so long ago and these don't have the sound signature I'm after, I mean these are a huge improvement from my p5s and se215 , but not the sound I want :/

What are your suggestions? 

What about a shure model (535 or the 846). Id describe the 535 as on par with the w4 but sweeter and more musical. Havent heard the 846 but supposedly it s a significant improvement in bass.

May 31, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 20
Well, I'd say for top quality sound, UM makes some killer universals, so the Mentors will probably be top quality.

For some Iems that are cheap that you can just try to find a sig: yamaha eph100(75-100), heir audio 3.ai (can be found for as low as $150!) for that price they're great! Shure 215(great bass, cheap, full mids, cooled treble but still detailed somewhat, $75-99)

If you don't mind a bit of ventilation: JVC ha-fx700, sennheiser ie8 are good!

Just general choices I found pretty fun: Ultimate ears 900, LTD ed. Shure 535 (these are a bit neutral but have great bass, further treble extension, and epic mids!), Audeo PFE 232, and the heir 4.ai(these are a bit more flat and not a usual fun sound, but the thick elegant sound these make sometimes makes me get that fun feeling in music!)

That's what I've got from experience and top of my head, if I have any more info or remember anymore, I'll be sure to tell ya!

Tell me whatcha think, bud!:)

I think that I'll go with mentors then, I hope that I will like them because if not it will cost me a lot of money.
The thing is that I don't have much time to find a buy a cheaper model and then buy the totl, it's too much hassle that's why I want to jump to the best and stay there for many happy years :D
Thank you for the suggestions fellow RHCP lover !
What about a shure model (535 or the 846). Id describe the 535 as on par with the w4 but sweeter and more musical. Havent heard the 846 but supposedly it s a significant improvement in bass.

I really love se215 but I found the fit to be a little bit uncomfortable otherwise se846 would have been in my watch list :)

May 31, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Yeah, I know whatcha mean. I'm very cautious before I buy something, especial at that price so I'm really hoping you enjoy them. At their price tag you deserve nothing less than satisfying quality.

Please do tell me how they work out for you or if you take a last second turn. I wanna know it turns out for ya!

And yeah man, hope you get some good Chilis Jam time on your new IEMS, buddy!:)

May 31, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 20
I have the feeling that mentors will be my cup of tea, and maybe if I have money I'll also buy merlins to see what's all the fuzz about :wink:

I'll try to buy them this month otherwise july after the exams period I'll treat myself :D

Ps Not a man :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back