Looking for a new headset. Definitely need help.
Mar 15, 2016 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Retsurai

New Head-Fier
Hey, guys! First time posting on here. So, I need a new headset for use with my desktop. So far my only headphones over $10 have been two pairs of G930s (the first pair worked fairly well for me, the second pair was an absolute train wreck with constant disconnects, popping/crackling...just generally awful) and a pair of ATH-AG1. I'm returning the ATH-AG1s on Wednesday. The audio is fine, but the design is terrible for me - on ear is definitely not my jam, the cable rubs against my neck the whole time I'm using them which is annoying, and I'm constantly being told my mic is low (which honestly might be rectifiable software-wise, but no sense in wasting time when I'm planning on returning them).
What I'm looking for, after looking through everything on here and elsewhere, is this: circumaural, closed-back headphones with a detachable cable under $200. On-ear is really uncomfortable for me, and I need a detachable cable so I can add a mod-mic (unless someone knows a solid headphone option with built-in mic, but the consensus in research seems to be you're better off getting a proper set and a mod mic). Sound-wise I understand the book definitions between warm, v-shaped, etc., but I have no clue what they mean in actual sound. Main usage will be gaming, music (everything from electro-swing to folk), and TV shows/movies on my PC. So, I welcome any knowledge on that front.
I was looking at the M50x's, but apparently the detachable cable on them is specialized so plugging in a mod mic is a no-go. So, I'm posting here to see if I could get some help so I don't make another mistake like the AG1s. 

Budget: Under $200 (preferably)

Other requirements: detachable cable (ability to use a mod mic), circumaural (no on-ear), close-backed

Preemptive thanks for any help!

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 11
Have a look at the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, every part is changeable if you don't like the style and you can buy other parts like a mic for gaming. These headphones come with a particular feature that allows you to control the amount of bass you want or the Audio Technica ATH-M50x these are by far and away the best all round headphones. They come with three detachable cables and things like skins can be bought for them as well. I'm ordering some M50x's next week so those are the ones I'd choose (obviously) but it depends on what your needs are and your taste.

Good luck.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 11
I do recommend m50x. And if you look closely or search on ebay or amazon there are lots of seller that sells mic cable for m50x. As far as I know, m50x cable is not proprietary. It's just a 2.5mm plug and 3.5mm plug.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 11
  Philips SHP-9500 + V-Moda BoomPro Mic

I'll take a look at the 9500s. That's the exact same mod mic I was looking at.

I'm ordering some M50x's next week so those are the ones I'd choose (obviously) but it depends on what your needs are and your taste.

I do recommend m50x. And if you look closely or search on ebay or amazon there are lots of seller that sells mic cable for m50x. As far as I know, m50x cable is not proprietary. It's just a 2.5mm plug and 3.5mm plug.

Yeah, after all the research I've done, the m50xs seem like the best fit for me. But after watching a video I learned the line in is special in that it twists to lock in place. So the V-Moda mod mic I was looking at, for instance, wouldn't be usable. I'll poke around and see if I can find mics that are made for the m50xs

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 11
  I'll take a look at the 9500s. That's the exact same mod mic I was looking at.

Yeah, after all the research I've done, the m50xs seem like the best fit for me. But after watching a video I learned the line in is special in that it twists to lock in place. So the V-Moda mod mic I was looking at, for instance, wouldn't be usable. I'll poke around and see if I can find mics that are made for the m50xs

These are proven to work with the m50x:

http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic-4-0 

Watch a video here:

https://youtu.be/-frgk1OtSCo

Hope it helps

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 11
  Look no further OP, this is one of the finest choices you can make in sub $150

Yeah, my only issue is they're open-backed. I've never owned a pair, but from what I read essentially what you hear everyone around you can and you still hear everything going on around you, yeah? I have a roommate and I'm not trying to subject him to whatever I'm listening to (or what people I'm on TS with are talking about), and I'd like to have some isolation. So, is open-backed sound leak really that bad?

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 11
  Yeah, my only issue is they're open-backed. I've never owned a pair, but from what I read essentially what you hear everyone around you can and you still hear everything going on around you, yeah? I have a roommate and I'm not trying to subject him to whatever I'm listening to (or what people I'm on TS with are talking about), and I'd like to have some isolation. So, is open-backed sound leak really that bad?

Actually it is that bad, especially if the space is limited. If you are sharing room with someone, I'd not recommend open-back headphone

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 11
  Actually it is that bad, especially if the space is limited. If you are sharing room with someone, I'd not recommend open-back headphone

Not the same room, but we have hardwood floors, so sound carries pretty easily.

Does anyone have feelings on the Custom One Pros Klitschko mentioned? If not I may just deal with the double cabling of the m50x's + mod mic.

Edit: Or if V-Moda LP's or M-100's would be worth looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back