Looking for a new Headphones, need suggestions.
Jun 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tsylord

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for new headphones and I could use some advice, I don't really know what to look for at all. I don't want to go too expensive no more than $300 total. I plan on using them for all around headphones so gaming, music and movies. I also have a good external DAC. Any suggestions?

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 9
For all "around headphones" at the price range - get Senn HD600.  Use spare change to get a cheap headphone amp.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Do you need closed headphones at all?

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 9
I mainly listen to rock and alternative music. I'm okay with any closed or open headphones, just as long as they are good. Also I'm in Canada so you may have to shoot closer to $280 to allow for an exchange rate.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
For all "around headphones" at the price range - get Senn HD600.  Use spare change to get a cheap headphone amp.

The Senn HD600's are a good starting point. Idk if a cheap headphone amp would be any better than the amp that is built in to his DAC already. It's kind of hard to tell without hearing his DAC. But he may be better off just spending less than what he wants on a used HD600 and then saving the rest and putting it towards a nicer mid-level amp like the Audio-GD offerings and such. My Audio GD C-2C does an excellent job with my Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 9
If rock and alternative - consider Grado SR225 too - more colored than the Senns with bumped up midrange for crunchy guitars, sweet female vocals, and more articulate bass.  Senns will be more neutral, with much more smoother highs, and better low end bass for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back