Looking for a new headphone
May 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iCupboard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, all.

So, I am dumb. Let that be stated first. I had a B&O H6 headphone, which I left in the train. Stupid me. 

I had a AKG K550, which I loved the sound of.

Both headphones sounds amazing, but I like the AKG K550 sound more (Don't really know why??).

Now I am looking for a headphone that sounds like the AKG K550, or maybe even take that sound signature and making it better? My budget is around €300.

I want a closed heaphone.

Scenario 2:

I am looking for an open headphone that sounds like the AKG K550, but better. Maybe with an amp? I am not sure, I never used an amp before. For this I have a budget around €250.

I am living in The Netherlands.

Thanks! 

May 1, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi grado sr125e are very very good headphone for you and project head box s is a very very good headphone amp £100 pounds for the amp grado headphones are open so will let sound out. For closed back get oppo pm 3.

May 1, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi grado sr125e are very very good headphone for you and project head box s is a very very good headphone amp £100 pounds for the amp grado headphones are open so will let sound out. For closed back get oppo pm 3.

Hey there! Thanks for your answer! Although I don't really think this is what I am looking for. Those Grado SR125e's look like they are not really natural sounding (Or I am not looking correctly, haha!) And The Oppo PM 3 are, from what I am seeing, way out of my budget, for €523 euro's, here. 

May 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 14
The HE-400S is a very nice open back that works well without an amp. +1 on the OPPO PM3 for closed back for the price.

May 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 14
  The HE-400S is a very nice open back that works well without an amp. +1 on the OPPO PM3 for closed back for the price.

Again, the 400S are looking nice, but they look like they are quite away from the neutral sound the AKG K550 has. And the OPPO PM3 looks like it is out of budget.

May 1, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 14
I haven't heard either one of the headphones you have owned so I can't comment on what sounds like them. I you like the AKG 550's so much why not get another pair?  I just like the planar sound myself but to each his own. 

May 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 14
As a K550 owner, I would encourage you to look into the Soundmagic HP150 and the Audio Technica A900X, both of which are similar in sound signature class (to me) to the K550. And then there is the new K553 which is supposed to be slightly different.

May 1, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks! I will check the closed headphones first, since I use them mostly outside of the house. So you have heard the HP-150, AKG K550 and the A900X. Which did you like the most out of those? And why? 

May 1, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 14
I think they are similar enough in sound class that you'd probably have to hear them to know which you like better. In other words, testimonials from others probably aren't going to help here. I can tell you that the HP150 have just a bit more bass emphasis. The HP150 also don't have the fit problems that the AKG 550s do. And I don't like the wing system of the A900X.

If you google any two of those together with keyword "head-fi" you will likely find people comparing them.

May 1, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 14
I've had the AKG K550's, and I loved the cool sound signature that they had. (atleast that is what they sounded like, to me) The headphone's fit is indeed a problem for me. The headphone slides off my head quite easily. Does the HP150 sounds cool aswell? Or not really? I can't really listen to them here, since no one here has them in their store, unfortunately.

May 1, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 14
  I've had the AKG K550's, and I loved the cool sound signature that they had. (at least that is what they sounded like, to me) The headphone's fit is indeed a problem for me. The headphone slides off my head quite easily. Does the HP150 sounds cool as well? Or not really? I can't really listen to them here, since no one here has them in their store, unfortunately.

From my understanding, the Soundmagic HP150 should offer stronger bass/treble, compared to the K550.

May 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 14

From my understanding, the Soundmagic HP150 should offer stronger bass/treble, compared to the K550.

I am not that good at figuring out things like that. I know that I liked the sound the K550 offered, can't get it here anymore, unfortunately. If I like the cool sound of the K550, would the HP150 be adding to that sound or taking that away a bit? And the K545, do you know something about that?

May 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 14
I am not that good at figuring out things like that. I know that I liked the sound the K550 offered, can't get it here anymore, unfortunately. If I like the cool sound of the K550, would the HP150 be adding to that sound or taking that away a bit? And the K545, do you know something about that?

I own the K550 and have owned the HP150, and like I said above, I don't think anyone can answer that for you.

And the K545, do you know something about that?

If you google K545 and K550 with keyword head-fi, you'll find people comparing them. Have you tried that yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back