Looking for a new headphone other than my HD598
Sep 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Triangle3

Head-Fier
`ello...

I currently have my HD598's which I absolutely LOVE.

I'm looking for another headphone with mostly the same type of characteristics of the 598's.
I don't care for analytical or airy sounding headphones. I like them to be more 'musical'.

I'm open to all suggestions. I might even look at IEMs....

I'd like prices to be kept no more than about $350, but can go just slightly over if I think it's worth it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm currently running my old iBasso D2+ and am kinda looking for a new portable amp/dac around $200.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 5
I would recommend you to stretch your budget to get HE-400 which are steal for $399. As for DAC/AMP i can recommend Audioengine D1 or if you can stretch budget a little bit to get AudioQuest DragonFly for better clarity and details

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response.

I had the HE-400 on my list.
I'll take a look at that D1... 
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I had the HE-400 on my list.
I'll take a look at that D1... 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

I read somewhere from a HE-400 owner that he still uses the HD598 for vocal music. "Musical" is subjective. You should try out whatever headphones you can in real life, with your favorite music, and directly compare them. I think it would be a good choice to buy a headphone that's very different from the HD598, so you can cover certain genres better. The 598 lacks a bit of speed - really their main downfall - so I suggest you get a headphone known for speed. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 5
My Grado's are certainly speedier than my Senn's, but I do prefer the Senn's sound slightly over the SR225is's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back