Looking for a new Gaming headset
Jun 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Saskruto

New Head-Fier
So I have been looking for a new headset since my Astro a40's broke. The mic quality wasn't all that great for 250 dollars, so I don't know if i should repurchase it. So I'm looking for a headset for Cs Go on pc. Though I also want my mic to be pretty good so if I ever start to make videos again.  So what I want is a good headset that will pinpoint footsteps and have a mic good enough for recording. Can you judge these headsets with that in-mind. Astro A40's, G4ME Zero's, or P363D's. Also, I have a mixAmp from Astrogaming, will it work on all the headsets I presented? I am fine if you give better suggestions instead, but please keep in mind I like the idea of the headset being the mic. I do not have to strictly follow that though. Thank you for any help that you provide!

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 11
Sennheiser HD558 headphones ($90-$120) and any add-on mic you like.
A Asus Xonar DG/DGX sound card ($20-$40) could take the place of the Astro mix-amp.

Here are two threads you can read up on and post any gaming related questions.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 11
Just FYI, both of the Sennheiser headsets in your poll use the same drivers as the 518/558/598's. Set a budget, decide if you want open or closed, then find a set of cans that looks good to you, throw on a mic and sound card... And rock 'n' roll. Csgo is great with a proper set up!

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Just FYI, both of the Sennheiser headsets in your poll use the same drivers as the 518/558/598's. Set a budget, decide if you want open or closed, then find a set of cans that looks good to you, throw on a mic and sound card... And rock 'n' roll. Csgo is great with a proper set up!

Um, can you go into more detail please? I don't know why people would want open when others say closed is better. Also, how do the drivers affect the hardware? Most of the replies I am getting are making me so lost... :frowning2: 

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 11
  Um, can you go into more detail please? I don't know why people would want open when others say closed is better. Also, how do the drivers affect the hardware? Most of the replies I am getting are making me so lost... :frowning2: 

Open : wider airier sound stage

Closed : better bass response full sounding and better isolation (passive).

The drivers are not the only things affecting the sound, There are many other things that matter such as housing, wires and etc.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 11

Open headphones allow more airflow through the drivers, so you get a wider, deeper soundstage and better imaging than most closed headphones. Also, having the same driver in different headphones pretty much means the housings are ones altering the sound, and they sound basically the same if placed in the same housing. Therrefore, he mans that if you buy the G4ME Zero, you're basically paying for a closed HD598 with a mic on it. If you like the Sennehisers, get the 598s, then get a mic. Gaming headsets are often overpriced for what they deliver.

But Jodgey was right: You will have to set a budget and your housing type.

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 11
For gaming, open is better than closed 9/10 times if you can deal with having some sound leak. Looking at Amazon's pricing, the Zero looks cheaper than the 598 right now... But getting the 558 + Mic might save money still. 558's are a little warmer sounding, and there's a simple mod you can do to make them sound more like 598's if you're so inclined.

Let us know what your budget is so we can help guide you! I'm not sure if the mixamp works with PC gaming, but if not, you can get great sound cards for cheap. I use the Asus Xonar DGX myself, it's ~$40.

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 11
For gaming, open is better than closed 9/10 times if you can deal with having some sound leak. Looking at Amazon's pricing, the Zero looks cheaper than the 598 right now... But getting the 558 + Mic might save money still. 558's are a little warmer sounding, and there's a simple mod you can do to make them sound more like 598's if you're so inclined.

Let us know what your budget is so we can help guide you! I'm not sure if the mixamp works with PC gaming, but if not, you can get great sound cards for cheap. I use the Asus Xonar DGX myself, it's ~$40.

My budget is under $300. Anyway the mixAmp works with PC but I am not sure if other headsets would work with it.  I already have my Astro A40's but the mic has broke so I can't play Cs Go effectively. I can get another mic easily and fix that problem but if it is not the Boom Mic that broke than i would need another a40's headset which would be around $140. In that scenario, I might just want to go and buy a different headset, one that didn't give me so many problems with the microphone because of the bad quality I experienced.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 11
  My budget is under $300. Anyway the mixAmp works with PC but I am not sure if other headsets would work with it.  I already have my Astro A40's but the mic has broke so I can't play Cs Go effectively. I can get another mic easily and fix that problem but if it is not the Boom Mic that broke than i would need another a40's headset which would be around $140. In that scenario, I might just want to go and buy a different headset, one that didn't give me so many problems with the microphone because of the bad quality I experienced.

Most low impedance (Ohm) headphones will work plugged into the Astro mix-amp
Sennehiser HD558 ($90-$120) and any add-on mic you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back