Looking for a new gaming headphones (FIXED) and soundcard
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Asuvent

New Head-Fier
Well it's that time of year again, the time where gifts are sent and recieved, and where many gift cards are sent and recieved. I ended up with a gift card with $150 on it, and I was hoping to get a headset for around that price. I also want to get a sound card to accompany this, but I want to use what's on the gift card for the headset only.

I really love to listen to a lot of music, but I also play a lot of games as well. One hour I can listen to the Eagles, Godsmack and Pendulum, and the other hour i'll play games like UT 2004 and iRacing, where positional audio is important to me. I do like my fair share of bass, and I have heard that some headsets like the AD700's have some problems projecting that. A mic really isn't a problem for me, because I have my own that sits on the desk.

So does anyone have any suggestions for either the headset or the sound card? All I've managed to scrounge up is the M50's and the AD700's, where one has a problem with positional audio and the other has issues with bass (From what I've heard). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I have looked at Mad Lust Envy's guide, and it just makes me all the more conflicted :p

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 7
If you must insist on a headset and can't wait for the ModMic to become readily available again, then hopefully the place where you can use your gift card sells the Sennheiser PC360.

My sound card recommendations remain unchanged: for headphone-only use, stick with the X-Fi Titanium HD, or if you can't afford that, go for the non-HD X-Fi Titanium.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Whoops, okay my mistake! I meant to say headphones instead of headsets (that's what I get for doing this half-asleep....). I do not actually need the mic because I have one on the desk already, so the modmic isn't needed. Thank you for the sound card suggestion though, i'll have to look into that more closely :).

EDIT: God, I feel stupid for mixing headsets and headphones, when I know better.....

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Well it's that time of year again, the time where gifts are sent and recieved, and where many gift cards are sent and received. I ended up with a gift card with $150 on it, and I was hoping to get a headset for around that price. I also want to get a sound card to accompany this, but I want to use what's on the gift card for the headset only.

I really love to listen to a lot of music, but I also play a lot of games as well. One hour I can listen to the Eagles, Godsmack and Pendulum, and the other hour i'll play games like UT 2004 and iRacing, where positional audio is important to me. I do like my fair share of bass, and I have heard that some headsets like the AD700's have some problems projecting that. A mic really isn't a problem for me, because I have my own that sits on the desk.

So does anyone have any suggestions for either the headset or the sound card? All I've managed to scrounge up is the M50's and the AD700's, where one has a problem with positional audio and the other has issues with bass (From what I've heard). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I have looked at Mad Lust Envy's guide, and it just makes me all the more conflicted :p

Where can the gift card be used?

The Technical Pro HPT-990 (Takstar Hi2050) are about the best headphones for the price, $70 at Digbuy.

The Creative X-fi Titanium (non-HD) sound card, used or refurb can sell for $55-$60 on eBay.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Where can the gift card be used?

The Technical Pro HPT-990 (Takstar Hi2050) are about the best headphones for the price, $70 at Digbuy.

The Creative X-fi Titanium (non-HD) sound card, used or refurb can sell for $55-$60 on eBay.

I can use this online and offline, and very few places turn it down, so location isn't really an issue.

And thanks for the HPT-990 suggestion, guess i'll be looking into that one too! After looking at the Creative X-fi Titanium HD and NamelessPFG's thread on soundcards and their technology, I think i'll go and get that card without using the gift card. The weakest link is the weakest part in the system and I am using on-board audio (and a crappy one at that, I can hear the hiss and it drives me nuts!), and will probably upgrade the headphones later on down the line. I was looking at the Xonar series, but I think that the X-fi Titanium HD will fill that niche without upgrading later (hopefully!). Is it that good for both music and gaming?

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I can use this online and offline, and very few places turn it down, so location isn't really an issue.

And thanks for the HPT-990 suggestion, guess i'll be looking into that one too! After looking at the Creative X-fi Titanium HD and NamelessPFG's thread on soundcards and their technology, I think i'll go and get that card without using the gift card. The weakest link is the weakest part in the system and I am using on-board audio (and a crappy one at that, I can hear the hiss and it drives me nuts!), and will probably upgrade the headphones later on down the line. I was looking at the Xonar series, but I think that the X-fi Titanium HD will fill that niche without upgrading later (hopefully!). Is it that good for both music and gaming?

The Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD is good for both gaming and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back