Looking for a new game
Jul 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

liquidzoo

1000+ Head-Fier
Maybe a long shot here, I don't know.

I'm looking for something new to play, but I'm pretty picky (maybe).

I have been playing (and re-playing) the Assassin's Creed games (2, AC:B, AC:R, and AC3).  That's the type of game I want.  I love the openness of the game, the combat, the story (especially the story), the stealth/sneaking around.

I'm not interested in FPS games.  I liked Mass Effect 2, but not 1 or 3 (though I didn't give 1 a really long playthrough).  I like the Force Unleashed games, but they're really linear with no side quests and no openness.  I've played parts of DA:O (no voice acting is a turn off for me) and DA2, but haven't finished either game.

Previously I have loved Final Fantasy games, but I've seen mixed reviews on FF13.  I like RPGs and Action/Adventure games.  Loved Uncharted when I had a PS3.  I'm not sure if there is a similar game for the 360.

Games I'm considering:

Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy XIII

Possibly
Alan Wake
LA Noire
The Cursed Crusade (?)

Not interested in:
Halo
COD (well, any FPS really)
GTA (though I might be able to be talked into this one)

I also like the Lego games.  They're good for some mindless fun.  The Star Wars game is the best of them, imo, but the Harry Potter games are pretty good too.  Not sure about Pirates or LotR, but I'd consider one of them.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, Read Dead Redemption is an incredible game and from your description sounds like something you would like. I don't think you would like LA Noire. While it's a fun game it is nothing like Assassin's Creed. You might enjoy Dishonored. It has a very open world, with stealth aspects, and an okay story. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas might be games you would enjoy as well; while the Fallout games are first person games with shooting they're very different from games like CoD and Halo. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 18
I think RDR might be the way to go.

LA Noire and Alan Wake are different, I know; but might be enjoyable.

I like the open nature of the AC games, especially with all of the extra things to do (collecting things, extra side quests, huge areas to explore).  That's really what draws me to them and what may draw me to RDR as well.

Then again, I also love the stories and the storytelling.  That has drawn me to Final Fantasy games in the past (and even games like Metal Gear Solid, which I wish they would remake for the 360, and even the original Metal Gear, which I wish even more that Konami would remake).

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 18
Go with RDR. It's one of the best games of this generation. It has a beautiful world and a compelling story. FF13 is hard to love and one of the biggest complaints is how closed the world feels, so it doesn't sound like a game you would enjoy. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks.

The searches I've done on the internet seem to back that up as well.

Looks like GameStop will be getting a visit from me for more than just putting more money down for AC4.

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 18
Not sure if it's your type of game, but heard good things said about it.
X-Com - Enemy Unknown

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Have you thought about playing Defiance? It's a pretty massive game, but I've noticed the game has been down a lot, so I don't think have worked everything out quite yet. It might be fun for you though.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
If you liked Assassin’s Creed, its combat and openness, you should definitely check out Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City.

Those are 2 other games I was considering.

Only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is that I haven't been a huge Batman fan throughout my life.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Have you considered Thief: The Dark Project? It's very heavy on stealth but uses a first-person view. Not sure if your disinterest is with the FPS view or the shooting.

EDIT: Fallout New Vegas may also be something to consider. It has plot and you can play stealthy if you want (though it's definitely not required). It just happens to have guns in it. You can stick to melee if you wish (quite fun when combined with a stealthy build).

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 18
Those are 2 other games I was considering.

Only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is that I haven't been a huge Batman fan throughout my life.

Isn't there a free demo available on Xbox Live?

Also, if you like stealth, definitely check Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's a sublime experience.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 18
I put red dead redemption up as the second best game of the current generation - just under Uncharted 2. I love westerns and RDR was just so wonderfully crafted. The only way they could make it better is to put it on PC and give it a morricone soundtrack...and maybe improve the multiplayer (get rid of auto aim is a start)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back