Looking for a new direction...
Mar 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I like to change up my gear every once in a while to experience my music differently while still not taking it to where I know I'm going to hate it.

So over the last decade I've been going darker and darker.  Beyer 880 to Senn 650 to Stax O2 to LCD-2.  Tried the rest along the way but those were the ones I kept along the way.

Problem?  The LCD-2 is very heavy and over the year plus I've used it my neck has started to bug me.  So I brought in the Senn 600 and Beyer 880/600.  Huh, not dark, at least not by LCD-2 standards and frankly I loved the change.  The Beyer went back because it didn't quite fit physically and that one treble peak when music found its way there well peaked.

And now it just gets odd.  That Senn 600 shouldn't compete with the LCD-2.  More so I shouldn't have shelved the LCD-2 a few days in despite using stock cord on the Senn.

So clearly I've gone too far down into the dark rabbit hole and need to come out.  If I go too far towards bright my ears will scream.  I need something that hits the LCD-2 quality while approaching Senn 600 type "brightness".

I haven't listened to the Beyer T1 or HiFi HE-500 but did listen to the Senn 800 when the LCD-2 came out.  At the time I had a B22 and Stello which compared to the Burson was a fairly dry and softened.  Not surprisingly the Senn 800 didn't have the drive or bottom to be kept.  I listen to primarily alternative to rock to metal with some blues and vocal here and there.  Since my last round at bat the T1 seems to have become everyone's favourite all rounder.  Problem is I have a hard time eating it since it measures poorly.

And just to make it interesting... amps and dacs are fair game too.  Thoughts on a direction?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 3
HE-6 or HE-500 are both really neutral. I only heard the HD600 for a few minutes at a meet, but I think that the Hifiman top flight phones would be suitably neutral for you with amazing extension both low and high. The bass of my HE-6 can really slam and reverberate and rumble when necessary, too, but the airiness and detail in the high end is just phenomenal as well - and oh god, those mids. So crisp and clear and smooth and perfect...

Can you tell it's near the end of my work day and I want to go home to my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back