Looking for a new DAC - what's a step up?
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

asilker

Head-Fier
My current system is a JE Labs simple 2a3 amplifier driving a pair of Altec 604's with Markwart crossovers. I'm finishing up a Thorens TD 124 for my anolog setup, which means I'll be looking at upgrading digital again soon.

my experience: I've been using the Starting Point Systems TDA 1543 DAC 3 (the "battery dac") for a few years. I like it. I run USB out from foobar on a PC. I was able to recently demo the DAC3 against a Modi Multibit. I had a strong preference for the 1543 and against the Modi. I've also owned a first generation D/S modi and noticed big improvements when I switched.

Detail and timbre are important to me, but spacial cues are probably a higher priority. I'd also like something that has enough output voltage to drive my amp without a dedicated preamp (I use it with an Alps potentiometer as an integrated amp). I am also interested in making sure my next unit has a well developed power supply.

I've been reading about Audio GD, Audio Note, and Soekris. I would love other tips on what to look for.

What would be a definite step up?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 13
I'd be comfortable in the $1k USD ballpark. I don't feel like I need to blow the whole budget though.

A friend is offering me a Line Magnetic 502. I'm going to try to demo it at home.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 13
Oct 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 13
Perhaps one of the DACs from MHDT Labs will work for you. Would imagine they are a step up compared to DAC3. Exactly which model I am not sure, but someone like Luckbad might be able help narrow the field. Here’s the MHDT main thread, there’s probably one for each model also (haven’t looked closely).

Other than that Audio-gd R2R 2 seems a worthy candidate, as well as already mentioned Denafrips Ares. Not sure about Soekris 1321 or Metrum Amethyst, both seem more lean sounding. Haven't listened to any of them, just to say, it's only my opinion based on what I've read.

Finally there is the option to ask the DAC3 maker, if he would consider making a beefed-up custom version, catering to your needs (output voltage, good psu). If he’s got the sound basically right (to your preferece) with DAC3, maybe he’s able to take it further, when aiming at a higher price point (less compromises).

Edit: On ebay there’s an ukranian, abbasaudio, that makes some interesting NOS DACs. Currently a TDA1541 solid state NOS is the only one within your budget, but I’ve previously seen a few more in your price range, some of them tube based (all are NOS DACs). He could probably be contacted for what's available within budget (other models).

Edit 2: BorderPatrol DAC S might also be something for you - TDA1543, NOS, no digital filtering, no output buffering. Model S is $995.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 13
Holo Audio Cyan Dac/amp. It should be close to Holo spring level 1 sound wise with amp feature and it's gonna retail around $1k. I own the level 3 and can never be more satisfied.

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Why not a Cord 2Qute? Sounds much better than Modimultibit Schiit DAC in my computer system playing HiRez tunes. With my Cavelli LC its a bit "you are there " experience.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 13
I'll second the recommendation for the Gungnir MB. It's incredibly euphonic. I don't find it too forward. I'll admit that I am not a fan of the low-mid end Chord products. I've heard them all up through the Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back