Looking for a new DAC - Budget Range 600 - 750 euro
Dec 20, 2015 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Luhaine

Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a DAC purchase. I've recently picked up a Sennheiser HD 700 for a decent price and was going to use it in the following chain:

PC (toslink) -> DacMagic (original) -> Marantz PM 7003 -> HD 700

I've had the Marantz lying around doing nothing so I figured I'd put it to good use. Unfortunatly during a recent move the DacMagic sustained some damage and subsequently doesn't work anymore. It's also way outside the warranty period so I'm looking around for a replacement. My budget is between 600 - 750 euro's, I'm located in The Netherlands so importing from outside off Europe will cut the budget due to import taxes (21%) and other levies. 

I've been browsing the forums looking to see what's a good brand / DAC these day's and so far I've seen Schiit come up often and being reccomended so I've been looking at the Bitfrost (439 euro) + Multibit (200 euro), which totals to 639 euro's where I'm from. A lot of the other stuff I read about is usually a AMP/DAC combination. Since I've already got the PM 7003 to perform the AMP function, I think I don't really need the combo and am much better off focusing on buying a nice DAC for now.

I've looked at the Buying Guide section but most are either way above my current budget or way below my current budget. Is the Bitfrost + Multibit simply the current best bang for buck there is out there or am I missing something (probably....)?

Thanks for any tips / reccomendations in advance!

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 4
This is a great DAC:

http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/hikashop-menu-for-module-203/product/audio-gd-dac-19-single-ended-1704uk-burr-brown-dac

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the tip. Looking into it now :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for the tip. Looking into it now
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a little over your listed budget, but import etc. is included since it's a Dutch retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back