Looking for a new closed headphones - HD600/Mad Dogs & HD700/??
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cocolinho

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Head-Fi!

I need some reco from you guys (and girls 
tongue.gif
) for a new closed headphones to use at home.
I've already purchased/sold a lot of things and I'm currently enjoying my Sennheiser HD600/700 & Mad Dogs 3.1 a lot.
Actually to my ears my HD600 & MD pretty close in sound signature and I like my HD700 more and more so I'm looking for a closed headphones with the following requirements:

- Highly detailed
- Very transparent
- Not flat sounding, not boring
- Wide, "out of the head" soundstage
- Comfortable
- under $1000 new

Thank you!

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 10
  Hi Head-Fi!

I need some reco from you guys (and girls 
tongue.gif
) for a new closed headphones to use at home.
I've already purchased/sold a lot of things and I'm currently enjoying my Sennheiser HD600/700 & Mad Dogs 3.1 a lot.
Actually to my ears my HD600 & MD pretty close in sound signature and I like my HD700 more and more so I'm looking for a closed headphones with the following requirements:

- Highly detailed
- Very transparent
- Not flat sounding, not boring
- Wide, "out of the head" soundstage
- Comfortable
- No budget

Thank you!

You know what? I'm just going to shamelessly recommend the Mad Dogs' big brother, so you can have matching sets :D

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/10136

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 10
The Alpha Dog was also going to be my suggestion.  The main criteria that doesn't fit for the OP is that wide "out-of-head" soundstage.  The soundstage of the Alpha Dog is not a deal-breaker for me but it is certainly not wide.  Adequate?  Yes, esp. for jazz trios, acoustic guitar performances, and quite easily for vocals.  I would also recommend the Fostex TH-600.      

Quote:
  You know what? I'm just going to shamelessly recommend the Mad Dogs' big brother, so you can have matching sets :D

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/10136

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 10
So you DO have a budget :)
 - No budget

Why are you looking for closed headohones at all?

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 10
What about ATH W-series (wooden)?
Are you able to try them before you buy?

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 10
I heard that the TH900 leaks quite a bit of noise and I would assume the same would be true with its little brother TH600, so that might not be the best option for you.

The Alpha Dog would be probably as good closed/noise-isolating as you can get in that sub-$1k price range. There are a lot of quality closed/portable mid-fi headphones in the sub-$300 range, though they may not be able compete w/ the hd600. And example would be the DT770 by Beyer.

The $1000 Ultrasone Sig DJ has a lot of fans on its appreciation thread, but I am under the impression those headphones are more geared towards bassheads. A great alternative to that would be the more neutral closed Ultrasone Sig Pro! If you willing to max out your budget, I read a lot of great things about the Signature Pro.

the rest of the really high-end closed options like the new Audeze XC (1.8k definitely out of your budget), beyerdynamic t5p $1.4k slightly out of your budget but if you can find em on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back