Looking for a Neutral Sounding DAC for 500 dollars
May 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zuqi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks. As the title says, I'm looking for a neutral sounding DAC (DAC only and not too bulky) for around 500 dollars.

After research, there are a few candidates that I'm interested: Centrance Dacport, Schiit Bifrost, but I'm still wondering there maybe some other good options out there.

Could you please give me some advise? Thanks!

May 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Well at that price point there are a LOT of really good dacs available, the two you already mentioned, in fact you could get the Bifrost Uber with usb for just $20 over your budget. Some other options are the Dacmagic 100, Parasound Zdac, Really too many to go through. There may be minor sound differences but so long as your stick with well known brands and models I don't think you are going to get anything you really don't like. I have seen and listened to both the DacMagic and Zdac. Both sounded exceptional. I liked the Zdac slightly better but mainly because I was looking for something with a decent amp built in and the Dacmagic doesn't have one, but sound wise they were both really nice. If you read these boards much you will also note that there are a LOT of strong Bifrost supporters on here as well, though it is a little bit larger in size than the two I mentioned. See if you can find a DacMagic to audition, it fits what you say you want, dac only and it is very small, I was surprised at how small it was when I saw it. They sell it with a little stand deal so you can set it on edge to make it even smaller.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 5
I would add the Meier Audio Daccord to your list. There even on sale currently.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back