Looking for a music/gaming HP for around $300?
Nov 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Derko1

New Head-Fier
I currently have the AKG 550s and while they do sound great for music, they aren't very good for games. They lack the sound stage and positioning. So I've been looking at some different options to find something that is on par, or better sounding than the K550s for around $300. Without sacrificing quality for music.

Could I get some suggestions? I've been looking at the m-100s and also Momemtum's. But I've not been able to find any info on what they are like for gaming. I'd consider any style, open, closed, but since I use glasses, they can not be on-ear. 

I would use them for 99% of the time at home.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit: I was also interested in the HiFiMan's HE-400. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Get the HD598. I use it for gaming (Battlefield 3) and for music. Best soundstage available.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 8
  I currently have the AKG 550s and while they do sound great for music, they aren't very good for games. They lack the sound stage and positioning. So I've been looking at some different options to find something that is on par, or better sounding than the K550s for around $300. Without sacrificing quality for music.
Could I get some suggestions? I've been looking at the m-100s and also Momemtum's. But I've not been able to find any info on what they are like for gaming. I'd consider any style, open, closed, but since I use glasses, they can not be on-ear. 
I would use them for 99% of the time at home.

What sources are you plugging the K550s into?

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 8
What sources are you plugging the K550s into?

I'm mainly using them connected to my NR-1008 onkyo receiver. Then occasionally use them on my razr phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post

Get the HD598. I use it for gaming (Battlefield 3) and for music. Best soundstage available.

I did consider these too. But thought maybe there's something even better to these that I could be looking at. Since my budget is up to $300. I know it's not all about how much they cost... but I'm still curious.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm mainly using them connected to my NR-1008 Onkyo receiver. Then occasionally use them on my razr phone.
I did consider these too. But thought maybe there's something even better to these that I could be looking at. Since my budget is up to $300. I know it's not all about how much they cost... but I'm still curious.

A/V receivers are not the best way to drive the 32-Ohm K550s, as the receivers headphone output usually has a high impedance.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm should work better with an A/V receiver.
The DT880 Pro 250-Ohm is semi-open and should offer a little better surround sound, over the DT770.

Hopefully your using HDMI for connecting your source to the receiver? for best audio quality.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 8
  A/V receivers are not the best way to drive the 32-Ohm K550s, as the receivers headphone output usually has a high impedance.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm should work better with an A/V receiver.
The DT880 Pro 250-Ohm is semi-open and should offer a little better surround sound, over the DT770.

Hopefully your using HDMI for connecting your source to the receiver? for best audio quality.

I am using HDMI to get a lossless signal. 

Is there anything I can do now to check how my K550s might sound? I was also interested in the HE-400s... was actually about to just buy them like 10 minutes ago, but they went out of stock... ;_; . Any opinions on that HP?

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 8
  I am using HDMI to get a lossless signal. 

Is there anything I can do now to check how my K550s might sound? I was also interested in the HE-400s... was actually about to just buy them like 10 minutes ago, but they went out of stock... ;_; . Any opinions on that HP?

I believe the HE-400 will work better with the receiver, then the K550s.

I would assume your Razr cell phone is an "ok" audio source.
A Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip or Sony E series portable audio player, used with the K550s, should provide better audio quality, over the phone.

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 8

I believe the HE-400 will work better with the receiver, then the K550s.

I would assume your Razr cell phone is an "ok" audio source.
A Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip or Sony E series portable audio player, used with the K550s, should provide better audio quality, over the phone.

Thanks for the info. I will place my order for the HE-400s from their direct seller, so hopefully I'll have them here some time next week. Thanks again! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back