Looking for a multipurpose DAC/Amp
Dec 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Reso

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, 

I am looking for a DAC/Amp that I can use with different audio sources such as my desktop PC, gaming consoles & TV/speakers. Here are my requirements:

-24bit/96kHz USB input. 
-Optical input.
-RCA ports. 
-Coaxial input is a plus.
-Capable of driving any headphone. 
-Budget is $400-$500. I could spend more, but I am saving most of my budget for a planar magnetic set of headphones. 

Here is what I found: 

-Sound Blaster X7: it meets and even exceeds my requirements on paper. At $400, there is probably nothing else that has so much to offer. However, it is a new product and it is hard to find reviews of it. Has anybody tried it? 

-Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 & D1 Plus combo: affordable and meets my requirements, but I am wondering if the D1 Plus alone is cable of properly driving Audeze LCD-2 or Hifiman HE-560, which are supposed to be kind of easy to drive. Any idea? 

Is there anything else that you would recommend? 

Thanks. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 3
The Fiio E17 would also work for you, and is well under your budget at $140. It has optical and coxial SPDIF, USB, and 3.5mm minijack inputs, and is battery-powered portable so you could use it with your phone as well. It's rated to for 16 - 300 ohms phones. It does 24-bit/192kHz over SPDIF and 24/96 over USB.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 3
  The Fiio E17 would also work for you, and is well under your budget at $140. It has optical and coxial SPDIF, USB, and 3.5mm minijack inputs, and is battery-powered portable so you could use it with your phone as well. It's rated to for 16 - 300 ohms phones. It does 24-bit/192kHz over SPDIF and 24/96 over USB.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my first post by including mobile phones. I will edit it. Actually, I need a DAC/Amp to use at home.

On the other hand, thanks, I might grab a portable Amp or DAC/Amp later as I am planning to get a good pair of IEMs for office. I will most likely get a FiiO E17 or a JDS C5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back