Looking for a mp3 player reccomendation
May 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aldem

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have the Sennheiser True Wireless Momentum 2 ear buds that I really like. Sennheiser also have an app on Android 8 or later and iOS 13 or later that let you manage some settings on the earbuds.

I’m almost tempted by an iPod Touch 7 (don’t need a cellphone, have an old flip that des what I want) and already have an iPad.

I’m open to suggestions though. What are the good (500$ CAD range) open android (as with the open google store on it, not locked to just some android apps) mp3 players ?

Bluetooth v5 would be nice to have, as my earbuds are v5.1

Thanks !

May 11, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Here is my 2 cents. I would not spend big money on a DAP with crazy good DAC's if you are going to go wireless exclusively. Bluetooth bypasses em and it's the HP's chip that converts from digital to analog. My "BlueTooth" DAP is a Fiio M6. Has all the codecs and it handles my very large MP3 library fine. Excellent battery life wireless if you remember to turn off the screen. Easily fits in a pocket. I'm not sure about the openness of it for other apps as I don't need'em.

May 13, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 3
TempoTec V1 is a portable BT/Coax transport (no DAC/amp). Usually less than 60 quid. Not android, but has 2 mSD slots (which is quite rare these days, especially for the price) and runs on HiByOS, so it has HiByLink. Since you're going BT, no need to pay for a DAC/AMP you're not going to use (you're mostly paying for the DAC/amp hardware/implementation in a DAP). If you decide to go wired further down the line, u can always just buy a portable DAC/amp then and make a pretty little stack. Some dongles are reported to even have desktop levels of performance! I personally own a V1 stacked with a Mojo for home use, and a Qudelix 5K for when I'm out and about. It basically holds my entire library.

Fiio M6 has a nicer/larger touchscreen so it might suit you better, but has half the potential storage capacity. There are quite a few DAP's at that size, performance and price point so have a look at it's competitors should you go for one of these. If u want to go teeny weeny, Shanling M0 has full BT transmitting capabilities, also. I can also vouch for the M0's analogue section. Very nice.

Dunno how well any of this will suit your use-case, but good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back